Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Friction Call Material ?

m_kat

For all you guys that have made your own friction calls. (the ones posted on here look great by the way!) What have you used for the slate or glass portion of the call and where did you get it from? (calkboard, reg.glass, etc) Also, how do you cut it into the proper size? I would like to try to make one of my own and I have no idea on where to start on that portion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

glass, you should be able to get at any hardware store. i've heard that the old chalkboards make good slates.

i was wondering, has anyone tried different thicknesses, and/or types of glass?

Thanks for the link THA4. Looks like some good stuff for little cost.

Has anyone used calkboard or glass from scrap. I would like to know how it is cut and formed to shape to save more on cost and to do it all from scratch.

Also, I saw a home made slate call that was a rectangle instead of round. It sounded pretty good. Has anyone made any of these type?

Thanks again for any replies.

If you have a way to cut glass in a perfect circle, you will be able to make a call out of anything. I like thinner glass as the thicker it gets the harsher the sound, i like rasp, but also like to be able to control the call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Custom Sawing

This is where i get my stuff.....

they sell all kinds of call stuff, including whole kits for box and friction calls! </div></div>

I ordered some stuff from them on the 6th. I got a confirmation email, but my card hasn't been charged and my email from last week asking about my order has gone as of yet unanswered. Could be they are extremly busy this time of year or it could be just my typical bad luck ordering stuff on the internet.

The 'Bonker

Bonker, they are super busy this time of year,
expect two weeks before you see your stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bonker, they are super busy this time of year,
expect two weeks before you see your stuff. </div></div>

I kinda figured.

The 'Bonker

I think any shape of call should work as long as the spacing is similar to a round call. The bottom of the call needs to have holes in it in order to amplify the sound and if you are trying to really get some good sound out of the call you need another layer underneath the striking layer (slate over glass for example). Even if you make the entire calls yourself, check out the custom sawing website for a little description on what goes into their typical calls and how they put them together, this will save you a lot of time.

Kratz

Thanks for all the input guys.

I was wondering about the slate over glass or glass on glass etc. I've never heard one. What does it do to the sound? If you put a slate next to a slate over glass all other things being equal how will the sound be different? I think I will put a order in for some supplies and I was just wondering if I should get the extra glass for the bottom.

I did throw a call together this evening using scrap I had around the shop. I used a piece of plexi-glass for the top. I don't have a lathe, so I made it into a rectangle. Super simple the square angles made it really easy to put together and it sounds pretty good (not to bad for a first try anyway).

I prefer slate over glass as opposed to just slate.

the single piece of slate is quiter and a great call for up close quite calling, purrs and clucks, and it will get moderately loud, but put a piece of glass under it and you will have a turkey killing machine!!

The piece of glass used for the sound board adds volume and rasp, especially rasp on the glass over glass.

i have a few homemade calls that are just glass or just slate, but i like the glass sound board and recommend them!!

Top Bottom