Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Friday P.M.

Hsmaross

Thoughts on Friday's Cold Front?

We have been seeing an uptick in movement and even had a couple of bucks duking it out Friday Morning. This front looks really promising!!!

Friday and Saturday should be killer! I can't hunt Friday night due to a prior commitment but I know where my mind will be....

For once my vacation schedule in October coincides with a cold front. This is what dreams are made of!! The kick start to the rut with Mother Nature finally showing some teeth. Thursday starts vacation and most of the way to Thanksgiving.
If the extended forecast is right hunting will be really good... in fact great is a better word. Several of my last ruts have not been the best for movement or good rutting activity. This could be the year for a great one.... time will tell
I definitely will have the cold weather gear on Friday and it will feel weird cause I haven’t worn it the last two seasons. Hunt hard and hunt all day if possible and hang on.

Some of you fellas in the western 3rd of the state might not want to overlook a Thurs evening hunt. Looks like cold frontal passage around 9 AM Thurs in the far Northwest corner of the state and making it's way to a Waterloo/Des Moines line by 5- 6 PM.

Here, I'm going to give out your best weather info. When you get there, bookmark it. Everything you need in a couple clicks.

http://www.weather.gov/ Should bring up a US map.
click as close to home/hunting location as possible
click on county/hunting location....this will bring up a standard forecast
Scroll towards the bottom and find "tabular forecast"Enter the date range of your hunt and it should look like this.
Hunting weather.JPG

Saturday is gunna be the cats ass

I'm thinking Saturday is the day here. We are looking at strong winds Thursday and Friday with calmer wind Saturday . Couple that with a daybreak temp in the low 20 s and I'm really looking forward to a Saturday morning sit.

Absolutely!!!! I am heading out at 2:30pm Friday, Back in Saturday morning, lunch break, Back in for Saturday evening. With any luck, Sunday will be all about stories,beer, and Football!!! As Mark and Terry say, this could be a magical couple of days.

Snow forecasted for Friday in central Iowa. I took the day off, so I'll be hunkered down, possibly all day in a valley out of the wind. Can't remember the last time I used my good cold weather gear in October.

I'm taking Friday afternoon off, plan to hang the LW in a new spot, hunt until after dark, return before the sun comes up Saturday for a morning sit. More of a fringe sit than jumping into the middle of my rut spot, but should have some decent traffic.

Snow forecasted for Friday in central Iowa. I took the day off, so I'll be hunkered down, possibly all day in a valley out of the wind. Can't remember the last time I used my good cold weather gear in October.

You can say that again! I can't remember the last time I even used my cold weather gear at all!

I'll be in the tree both Friday and Saturday all day. Weather is looking like "kill me" weather and the cams are showing the bigger boys in some daylight! GO TEAM 10!!

I’ll be out starting Friday till Sunday. What are your guys thoughts on all day sit this early?

In my opinion it's early for that. Anything is possible but I wouldn't expect much mid day action. Maybe if you are on a secluded food source real close to there bed. I've got a cam on a plot like that and do occasionally get mid day action.

You guys have me curious as this is my first year bow hunting - will movement be better during the cold front (i.e. when the weather is crappiest) which is forecast for Friday night here, or will it be better after the cold front has passed and the weather clears and gets real cold (forecast for Saturday afternoon/evening)? I guess my thinking was the latter that I should be sure to hunt after the front when it gets clear and cold - but you guys sound like you're focusing on being out Friday night.

Thanks in advance.

You guys have me curious as this is my first year bow hunting - will movement be better during the cold front (i.e. when the weather is crappiest) which is forecast for Friday night here, or will it be better after the cold front has passed and the weather clears and gets real cold (forecast for Saturday afternoon/evening)? I guess my thinking was the latter that I should be sure to hunt after the front when it gets clear and cold - but you guys sound like you're focusing on being out Friday night.

Thanks in advance.

Id take Saturday like you, cold weather after a system passes is always Dynamite

In my opinion it's early for that. Anything is possible but I wouldn't expect much mid day action. Maybe if you are on a secluded food source real close to there bed. I've got a cam on a plot like that and do occasionally get mid day action.

I agree ^^. I think the key is not to burn your spots out...or yourself...at this point. Some big bucks are starting to fall now...but the real good stuff is still a couple of weeks out imo.

If you can hunt all day now and still keep things fresh for November, then go for it. But if you fry your spots or your patience now, I think you may be just a little early. But the weather forecast looks ideal to me. Good luck.

I’ll be out starting Friday till Sunday. What are your guys thoughts on all day sit this early?

Few of my buddies have big deer moving mid day on their cell cams yesterday and today.... next few days are only going to be better. Worse ways to spend the day!

I think there will be a good amount of big deer hitting the dirt this weekend. Saturday and sunday should be really good. And next weekend with the moon and forecast- cant wait!! (if I have my tag still by then)

Top Bottom