Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

From Trail Cam to Reality

Must_Hunt

PMA Member
On September 16th I got a picture of a great buck on my trail camera. From the picture the buck looked to have at least 3 drop tines and a ton of inches. His left side appears to be a basic 4 by, while his right side looks like a mess of points that go everywhere.

Well tonight with the wind out of the Northwest I decided to go in and try to hunt him. I didn't really like the idea of hunting him this early, but I was also afraid that once the rut started I might not get a shot at him. When I got the trail cam picture, it ws taken at about 7:46, which meant that he was not far out of shooting light...keeping in mind that was on the 16th of September. Tonight the deer were on their feet early, by 5:45 I had already seen 12 does come into the cornfield. As the night progressed I saw a spike and several more does. I was hunting the exact spot that I got the picture at, it is a draw that is about 50 yards wide and it has picked cornfields on both sides. Well I had just decided to get down so I could slip out without getting busted by the does and I had also just put my quiver on my bow when I heard a twig snap behind me. Then I could hear the definite sound of a deer walking in the draw. I looked around the tree and could tell it was a good buck but I couldn't tell if it was the buck, I put him in the binoculars and could see the 2 droptines on his right side. He continued to walk and at 30 yards I released the arrow and he immediately kicked up his back legs. I was in shock not knowing if I had made a lethal shot, the wind was still blowing prety good so I decided to get down and look for my arrow with what little light I had left. I went home and didn't even tell my wife that I had shot at the deer. I kept asking her what the weather was supposed to do and she was really wondering why I was so concerned with the weather. I finally couldn't stand it and told her that I had dropped my money clip at the stand and needed to go look for it....she bought it so away I went. I walked to where the buck was standing and was looking for my arrow, and to my surprise there was blood everywhere. I followed the blood for about 40 yards and up ahead I could see a steep bank about 15 feet high. I told myself that if he went up the bank I was going to back out and come back in the morning, but after going another 20 yards I found him piled up. The shot had been perfect, it entered right behind the rib cage and I found the arrow lodged in the front of the chest cavity. The buck has 15 scoreable points on his right side and 9 points on his left. The brow tines are over 10 inches, and I lack about three inches from being able to touch my thumb and middle finger around his bases. I will post some pictures tomorrow, but to me he is truly a buck of a lifetime. And to make it even more special I was able to harvest the buck on my daughter's birthday. Good luck to all of you this year!!!!!

T.D.

Wonder how many times I will check the forum tomorrow when I should be studying......? Can't way to see them pics! Congratulations!

Sounds like a great hunt! Looking forward to the pics!
smile.gif

Congrats! Can't wait to see the photos, sounds like a hog. Last night was a good evening to be out I know of 2 other big ones killed last night.

Chris

Fun story to read! The suspense is too much, you just have to post pics.

Shon

....must see pictures....
blush.gif
, congrats man...he sounds awesome. By the way...what did your wife say when you came home with a monster buck and not your money clip?
grin.gif

Sounds like a great one - Congrats - can't wait to see the pictures

Top Bottom