Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost seeding Alice White clover

jmm46

Just wondering, I have a IW clover plot that is 2 years old and is pretty patchy with weeds present. If I frost seeded alice white clover at the end of Feb., could I still spray the plot with Roundup in June to help kill the weeds? I saw the post earlier where they said you can use roundup on plots that are a couple years old, my question is will the roundup in June kill the alice clover frost seeded in Feb.?

You could frost seed the clover and then spray SELECT, not Roundup, later on. Select will kill grasses, but not clover. Roundup will kill colver AND grasses.

Actually I plan on doing just this too because a couple of my clover plots have grassed up in the past year or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could frost seed the clover and then spray SELECT, not Roundup, later on. Select will kill grasses, but not clover. Roundup will kill colver AND grasses.

Actually I plan on doing just this too because a couple of my clover plots have grassed up in the past year or so. </div></div>

There is one gentleman who advocates spraying Roundup on old clover plots very early in the spring to kill grasses. IMO it's a very risky proposition that requires perfect timing and exact amounts of roundup.

I can't see taking that risk when a grass selective herbicide like Select can safely be sprayed on growing clovers anytime without harming it, yet killing ALL grasses.

Roundup will most likely kill new baby clover resulting from frost seeding the Alice clover because it would not have extensive root systems yet.

Select 2-EC is also available as a generic clethodim : Arrow 2EC

Runs roughly $95 -140 a gallon but only 6-8 ounces per acre is required and it's safe on most broadleaf crops including sunflowers, soybeans, sugar beets, alfalfa and clover /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom