Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

frost seeding concerns

Buck-Man

Farm is in southern illinois, with this weather and with the deep freeze and now we got loads of rain . Is it still safe to frost seed clover if the temps freeze at night and thaw during the day.
Water has no where to run off to cause frozen ground.

Yea, I think the usual "Spring", activities will be delayed a bit by these EXTREME, conditions. Unless there is a BIG change in the weather,the continued trend to cold is gonna slow me down to what I usually do. I figure will take quite awhile to thaw my ground.

I think you will be fine. The clover is a hard seed anyways and will not germinate when the temps are this brutal wet or dry.

I threw out a bunch of annual sunflower with large and small trailing wild bean in a new area that had none. I'll find out soon enough if it was a bust or not :D

Latest outlook for March and April from W-Service says more of the same. Warm Pacific water equaling ridge in the West-Trough in the East. Once in awhile jet streams move a little but go back to this scenario. For Iowa means colder than averages for the next two months. Moisture? Hard to say, but by far most heavy will be south and east of Iowa. Coarse,,,things can change but probably won't.

I put out a bunch of seed this past weekend. Clover, some wild flowers, and some brome grass on the edge of a road I had constructed early fall. I got the seed from ossenbough seed farms. John personally delivered me the seed and recommend me to get it on the ground. Huge shout out to ossenbough for driving 2.5 hrs to my farm to make sure I had the seed! Can't beat that service.

Top Bottom