Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost seeding help?

jlarson007

I have two plots that were tillage raddishes this past year.

Plot A was hit hard most of the fall with the majority of the leaves ate and now all the bulbs are ate off to the ground.

Plot B was new this year and did not see a lot of action until winter hit. Lots a dead leaves laying on ground but bulbs all gone now.

I want to frost seed some clover into these plots and was wondering if anyone had done this before where there might be dead material laying on the soil. If this would restrict the clover from proper germination?

Am i better off borrowing the neighbors drill and seeding it come spring or do you think I will be allright frost seeding in both?

Thanks!

I'm going to frost seed into my turnips. And in March planning on broadcasting oats into them.

Alleopathic impact might hurt some clover BUT I've had success with it in turnips when I've tried some left over clover seed on it & since it's so cheap. But, others have had some issues.

Frost seeding switch? Like, in general? Works amazing. Read Dbltree's habitat threads on switchgrass. If it's in turnips, I would feel fine doing that. I am imagining a plot where the ground is fairly clear right now. I'd sure be fine with it. Obviously do it in February & blast in later with Atrazine & Roundup before germination.

Dbltree has more info in his section on establishing clover following brassicas.....in general he sows it in Spring along with oats. Usually, just an annual red clover which then gets tilled under in late summer to be followed by rye seed blend at that time. But no reason you couldn't go with a perennial red/white clover seed combo with the oats and just mow off the oats and keep it maintained from there. It's definitely tougher to establish clover in Spring than in Fall, but depending on moisture and weather, you can have very good success. As far as frost-seeding, I've found that to be hit/miss with clover, personally. Definitely does better when seeded with some kind of "nurse crop" like oats, rye, etc. Good luck!

Top Bottom