Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost Seeding Ideas

cjgarrett

Hey guys i have read a lot of very helpful advise on this site in the past so i wanted to reach out and see what everyone thought about a food plot idea i have. My family owns a 60 acre piece that backs up to several hundred acres of woods. Our piece is only 20 acres of woods and the rest is pasture. We have 5 mules that are in the pasture most of the year. I fenced off an area (1acre) 3 years ago to make a food plot. I planted a fall mix in the end of August 2010. The deer hardly ever touched it until the first snow. At this point that mowed it down to dirt... Last year i tried planting clover but due to our drought it all burned up. So this year i am trying to be proactive and plant a spring plot vs. fall. I am planning on frost seeding white clover in the next week or so. I have the plot fenced off on two sides to keep the mules out. The other two sides back to woods. I plan on seeding the fence lines with some tall native grasses for cover and concealment while entering the stand. I know that clover will be ok for early season but tends to be less enticing as it gets cold. A buddy of mine suggest to broadcast turnips around September. He says he has great luck with that in late season. Any thoughts?

Keep in mind, i am doing this as a hobby/doe killing spot! I truly can not compete with the food sources around my land. There are over 300 acres of crops surrounding me....

Thanks for any ideas!

Top Bottom