Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost Seeding Preparation

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Hey all,

How well does ground need to be "prepared" for frost seeding.

I've got some options this year that I couldnt prepare last fall. I wanna do some frost seeding with chicory and clover mix. BUT... My area is longer thin grass, I know ideally burning it or mowing it last fall would have been ideal. By the time the snow melts I know the grass will be matted over on the ground. Is it going to be any good to try to seed it? Will my seed make ground contact if I dont touch the ground?

Thanks.

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will my seed make ground contact if I dont touch the ground?
</div></div>

Nope...

However clover seed is very small and heavy spring rains will push it thru a pretty good mat of "stuff". Better to prepare the site the fall before but if you just can't wait, seed it, clip it ASAP and be prepared to use some grass herbicide on it (Select or Poast)

I much prefer to see and area tilled up in late summer, planted to rye and then frost seed into it next winter (or seed with the rye) If that isn't an option then you can give it a shot knowing that you risk having a mediocre clover plot.

Top Bottom