Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fruit Tree Experiences

QTW

Hey guys-

Looking for some information on fruit tree plantings in Southern Iowa. I recently began implementing some orchards on one of the properties I manage in Davis county.

This year I have gone with Sundance and Liberty apples on m111 rootstock. Hoping that since these varieties are more fire blight resistant I have some luck. We will see.

Any thoughts/ experiences would be much appreciated.

Stephen

Make sure to protect them with aluminum window screening on the bases to about 2' up...then fence them and keep down weed competition (to bare dirt).

The fastest growing apple I have on 3 different sites with mm111 rootstock is Hewes crabapple....I highly recommend those. My farm is 2 miles south of IA line (south of Wayne County).

then fence them
And fence them WELL! We planted some 6 trees three years ago. Made an ok fence, about 5.5-6ft tall. It worked fine until the snow came. The snow drifted and somehow, someway the fence went down and now one apple tree barely is hanging on to life. The other five were toast after that winter.

I'd suggest fencing them individually.

Loesshills- I suggest a 16-18 feet of 5 ft wire for each tree. Sounds excessive, but should ensure that trees are adequately protected.

Loesshills- I suggest a 16-18 feet of 5 ft wire for each tree. Sounds excessive, but should ensure that trees are adequately protected.

You got elk running your ground or what?! :D It seriously takes a jail type fence... ask Skip to post pics of the fence he built around his orchard... !

We learned the hard way..

I only plant the most Disease resistent varieties I can find. A good nusery is Burnt Ridge. Every tree from them so far ,,has grown well. Fencing is important. Make sure the fence is big enough around the trees, so deer cannot reach in and nibble outside branches. I grew fruit trees in N. Mi, before moving to Iowa and I can definately say that Apple and Pear trees grow better up there than down here in S Iowa. Not sure why, but maybe the Warm Humid summer nights,,not sure? Cedar Apple Rust, and Scab,,will be your worst disease offenders, and do not wrap the trunks with anything like plastice or even the tight tree guard wraps,,this will only invite Borers,,big time!

Enterprise,Liberty,Gala,Freedom,and Gold Rush, for apples. MoonGlow and Korean Giant, for pears. I have a couple Crab Apple trees that are supposed to be hardy too. Can't remember their names exactly, but most Crabs are disease resistent. If you pick a Nursery,,ask the question. Most are happy to let you know. A new nursery that looks interesting is EdwardFort Nursery, they were recommended in Deer&D-hunting Mag.

I'll second that. I've been using 14ft of 5ft welded wire fencing with 3 6ft T post for each tree.

Loneranger- I plant many of Edward Forts trees in the southeast. There pear varieties are excellent. Trophy and Giovan are great hunting trees. Unfortunately as far as I know this trees are only available from edward fort on callery root stock. Callery will winter kill in areas where it gets below -10. I only plant pears on ohxf 97 up your alls way. This year i did plant two on callery rootstock as a little experiment. I expect they will winter kill.

I'll second that. I've been using 14ft of 5ft welded wire fencing with 3 6ft T post for each tree.

Could one of you show a photo of how you are building your fence?. Are you making a bigger circumference fence or double wraping it for stability? I might be the only one who is confused so bear with me, I'm a little slow.:eek:

Could one of you show a photo of how you are building your fence?. Are you making a bigger circumference fence or double wraping it for stability? I might be the only one who is confused so bear with me, I'm a little slow.:eek:

What I do is use a single wrap, and cut one end with extra wire to wrap around the other end. Also, if you use woven wire, flip it over where the bottom portion is actually the top since the squares are smaller there and it is harder, if not impossible for deer to reach through that way.

UnknownApple.jpg

No idea on how to post photos. And not likely to figure it out. But I'd be glad to email ya a couple. Similar to your fence letemgrow but i typically use rebar instead of the t posts. I plant several hundred fruit trees a year for deer orchards every spring in various states and i try to keep the fence simple and quick to construct to save time. Always good to use whatever materials you have available! (lots of different shapes and configurations will be work)

Top Bottom