Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frustrating

thephatchef

PMA Member
To say this hunting season has been frustrating, is an understatement. Seeing very little rut action all of November, and having deer spook for wired reasons, has got be super frustrated. But hey, that's why it's called hunting, right?

Last night I was sitting on a public alfalfa field that is absolutely destroyed from the deer feeding on it. My friend's dad shot a button buck out of there the night before, and had more deer come out after that. So I was sitting in a spruce tree, and had four deer out with about 10 minutes left of shooting light. I decided to take a large doe out of the group who was standing at 150-200 yards. I had all three lines on my drop down scope knowing that one of those distances would hit. I fired, a huge thud, and saw her on the ground kicking snow all over the place. I was scrambling out of the spruce tree so I could reload, and figured she'll still be there when I got to her. I walked to where she was and saw no blood anywhere. By this time it was too dark to see clearly and my phone battery was as frozen as I was, so I walked back to my car that was sitting on the field entrance (had a 100 yard walk from my car to the tree i sat in) to go get my friend. During the walk out, more deer came out behind me into the field, and just stood there watching me walk out.

Needless to say, we found no blood even with his blood light. He went back out with his dog to shed hunt today, and found no sign anywhere. The only thing we can figure is that at that distance, I hit her shoulder blade, but didn't penetrate. Thoughts? I'll be back out there tomorrow night and should have no problem filling my tag. This field attracts more deer than I have ever seen. And it's on public ground.

Could be. My only hope is that at 150-200 yards that the "large doe" was actually that and not a shed buck. One of the largest bucks on a tract I hunt dropped both sides before X-Mas.

You likely hit high and got the top of the spines sticking up from the backbone. Stunned the spinal cord but did not sever it. She recovered while you weren't looking & ran away. Better luck next time...

Seems like a long shot if you were seeing lots of deer? Maybe you hit her in the brisket. Patience is the key. Maybe you will get a second chance. Try a shorter shot that might help.

I'm going back out tomorrow, and moving up the field edge another 50-75 yards or so. That will put me about 50 yards from where they came out. It wasn't a shed antler buck I hit. I looked her for quite a while in the scope. No scars, scabs, or nubs to be seen.

"It wasn't a shed antler buck I hit. I looked her for quite a while in the scope. No scars, scabs, or nubs to be seen."

:way::way:

Top Bottom