Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

FRUSTRATION

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
Is anyone in the same boat?? I have yet to see any hardcore rutting action. Idrie from Cedar falls to New hampton, 45 min. have yet to see a buck chasing in the day. Have put in 4-8 hours a day in the stand for the last week, havent seen anythin happening. Last two bucks i saw ver 140 were just lolly gaggin around eating acorns. have seen about 20 does BY THEMSELVES> today a little 120 8 point came in and bedded down???? Not looking for does, have seen a number of does in cornfields just eating and not being pestered?? What the Heck is going on?? I am thinking it still hasnt "happened" or is this gunna be one of those slower years, because of the full moon and stuff? I dunno. to me it seems like it has yet to rupture into the buck chasing doe drooling rut.. I dont know what to think!!

It's on man, just not hot and heavy probably cuz of the hot weather. I shot mine last week after I called him away from a doe he was dogging. I'll bet Thursday brings about new attitudes in the deer when that forcasted front rolls through. Hang tough and keep your chin up, it'll happen when you least expect it.

Last Thursday I had all kinds of action. Bucks running like crazy all over the place. Probably saw about 20 different bucks running anywhere from 120"-170" deer. After that it was really slow. I have only seen two does all season and neither of them were close enough to shoot, one was being chased by some yotes. I talked to one of my buddies and he hasn't had any ruttin going on and another one said it was hot Thursday through Sunday. So your guess is as good as mine. Good luck to you!

I'm feeling the same way, but I don't think it 'happened' yet. I had a little buck come in and bed right down in front of me too. We were seeing a little bit of chasing, but not hot and heavy like I'm used to.
Hopefully this weekend it heats up because I need some more breakfast sausage.
Good luck

I saw the exact same thing (or didn't see as the case may be) while hunting from the 3rd thru the 5th. I'll be back out on the 9th thru 12th and am hoping that things pick up a bit.

I was blaming the full moon. Perhaps they were already locked down. Maybe it will be a week late in my area. Who knows?! All I can do is get back out there and keep sitting!

Thank God I'm not the only one going thru a slow movement time. Sunday was terrible for me....a doe and a yearling in six hours on stand. This cold front hopefully will help. Don't give up!

I was thinking the same thing. I have yet to see a buck chasing a doe, other than checking them out and dogging them for 50 yards. I did rattle in a 2 yr old this morning, but no big ones yet. Lots of guys at work have been saying the same thing. There is a ton of standing corn around too which doesn't help. Hang in there though... it has to get better.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Put in all day sit today and saw one small eight at 3:00. Haven't seen a single "shooter" yet. Hunted the weekend and Monday as well, saw a ton of adult does with their fawns. No bucks with them. With the does still trailing fawns I have a hard time believing they majority are coming into estrus.

yes very slow movement, then I talked again with the land owner and he said he hasn't seen deer either been alot of firewood cutting going on just next to his property. (great bedding area messed up) well nothing I can do but hope and be in the trees.

They were chasing hard tonight. I had four different bucks dogging does while I was in stand. The first came around at 2:40pm. At this very moment there is a buck chasing does, grunting like a pig, in back of my house. It's probably the 150" 11pt I got video of doing the same thing at 11:00am Sunday. I've seen a lot from the young ones, but the big ones are hanging back until after dark. I have heard a lot of people are having the same results as you - in fact, other than the big boy here in town Sunday, tonights action was the first 'rutting' I've seen since Friday.

Fletch

You mean new hampton?? Most of the activity i am talking about. i by jerico and alta vista. I just dont know.

I walked up on an orgy at about 10:30 am yesterday. A 2 1/2 yr. old 8 pointer on top of a small doe, and another doe standing with 4 bucks; all young except for a tall 150 class 10 pointer. This happened as i was moving from an early morning stand that netted 2 small bucks responding to grunting, and many does in the picked corn moving south. I watched the young 8 pointer mount the small doe again, and finally after 15 minutes of watching; something made the other doe bolt. All hell broke loose, and they were down the hillside. The last i saw they had crossed a small creek and ran up the other side of the valley. The rest of the day and evening netted 2 more young bucks cruising, and several doe moving to corn.

Went out this morning and couldn't get to my stand because of bucks chasing does. I waited for the field to clear then tried to sneak in - unfortunately, I came eye to eye with a 150" class buck who was zig zagging the field hoping to pick up a does trail. I finally made it to my stand at 6:45, and by 7:02 I had a good 8 pointer on the ground. While I waited for help to arrive, a bigger 8 with great mass chased a doe across the field in front of me. The rut is definitely on...Good luck!

Fletch

I ROARED in three bucks tonight!! things are looking up.
smile.gif

Things were rockin in the northern part of the state last weekend. Not sure whats happenin in the south.

Top Bottom