Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Full Moon ?

I pay a lot more attention to temperature than the moon. I'm not real sure how much effect the moon has on daylight movement but I know that warm or cool weather makes a huge impact on what I will see.

hillrunner said:
I pay a lot more attention to temperature than the moon. I'm not real sure how much effect the moon has on daylight movement but I know that warm or cool weather makes a huge impact on what I will see.

I believe the same.

Cooter

Sent from my phone on IW

The full moon on the 10th will not alter my hunting this year. I try to take off the week that encompasses Nov8th...so this year my vacation will start on Nov 4th and run through the 13th. As always, if that fails...I'll be back at Thanksgiving.

While I have NOT shot a buck for the past three years, I've certainly seen a lot of movement during that time.

An all day sit will certainly let you know when they are NOT moving :way:...and I do them as much as I can.

I think a lot of hunter have failed to remember two years ago when the corn didn't come out until January. How many big bucks were seen that year again? SO, to me, the crops are the biggest deal...because if allowed to, the deer will spend the whole rut in a large tract of corn and no one will see them. I also think the full moon keeps them more active at night, which lowers the "twilight" movement most bowhunter assume is prime...and is why I see a ton of movement between noon and 2pm.*

*my observations may differ yours

You are right. I have seen overwhelming observation data that shows temperatures of more than 10 degrees above normal have a huge negative effect on movement, 20 degrees above normal will typically shut things down. It can be a little more below normal with colder temps, but even that will eventually have some effect.

I don't really pay attention to the actual temp, but I really pay attention the amount above/below normal it is. I think about it this way: 73 degrees on Oct. 5th in Iowa is a lot different than 73 on Nov. 5th. On the October day there is a chance you may still have some normal daily movement, but the November day is going to be pretty tough hunting. Not to say I wouldn't be out there, but sure wouldn't expect much.

turtlshell;*my observations may differ yours[/QUOTE said:
I like that.

That is one of the reasons we started our online journal. Everybody hunts in different situations, but alot of times even if different places and times the circumstances and sightings/observations will be similar. We have made it possible for hunters to record their observations and for all of us to learn from the experiences of the other hunters out there.

Last Nov. was again mild,,at least where I was. finally around end of second week,,or third got one truly cool day, it was a Sat-in the 30's, saw most movement I'd seen in wks. Definately the cold turned them on. At least in my neck..

Last Nov. was again mild,,at least where I was. finally around end of second week,,or third got one truly cool day, it was a Sat-in the 30's, saw most movement I'd seen in wks. Definately the cold turned them on. At least in my neck..

I think that the morning of November 14th, Sunday, is the day you may be referring to Lone. Temps tended to be warmer than preferred in early November to my recollection and my son hit a buck on Saturday afternoon the 13th. We were trailing it the following morning and I recall it being fairly cool, but not cold, and the bucks were flying through the timber that day chasing. It seemed like every time I looked up there was a buck coming at us.

Although I do think the moon phase influences deer movement, it is not the be all, end all. A cool spurt in November is GOOD, whether the moon is out or not.

I believe the same.

Cooter

Sent from my phone on IW

X3. Hot temps are almost always slow for me. Wind speeds are a big factor for me as well. Not to say I havnt had luck in windy condidtions but it sure seems like action is slow when winds get into the 15mph +.

Top Bottom