Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fun Hunt

Liv4Rut

Had a fun hunt this weekend with my Mom. She has been hunting 20 years and had only taken one deer up to this point but she is very persistent. On Saturday evening we set up on an unpicked bean filed and had a small buck come out to our right on the neighbors but she didn't get a shot.

A little later on just before dark a buck stepped out about 20 yards behind us. I was sitting there watching the buck waiting for her to shoot but she never picked up the gun. I finally told her to shoot it. She picked up the gun, pulled back the hammer, settled in and CLICK!! I thought she didn't have a primer in the gun so I told her to put another primer in. I was hunting about 10 feet above her. She put in another one and right when she cocked the gun the buck ran. He was about a 110 incher. I guess she didn't notice the antlers in the tall grass it came out of. We also didn't know that a Knight KP1 has a second safety built into it. Dad told her just to pull back the hammer and it will shoot. Needless to say Dad was in the doghouse all night.

This morning we went back to the same spot. I didn't think we would see much since we were pretty much hunting a field edge. The turkeys were gobbling llike crazy so that was cool. After my second rattle session about 8:30, this little guy stepped out after about 5 minutes. I watched her glass him through the binoculars. I wasn't sure if she would shoot him or not but it wasn't long and I seen her get the gun up.

He was about 60 yards away when she shot. She smoked him. I could see the blood pouring out of him but she thought she missed. She looked up and said, "I missed." I said, "no you didn't, just watch". He stopped after about a 40 yard run, looked around and fell over.

My mom was estatic and so was I. I have never hunted with my mom before and it is a memory that will last a life time. Congratulations Mom.

982-moms_buck.jpg

I think I can count the number of mother/son hunts on this forum on one hand. Congrats to you guys Mike.

Top Bottom