Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Funny At First................

Split_G3
well i was able to get 6 hours of muzzleloading in this morning, nope, no harvest report but a funny thing happened, atleast it was funny at first.

the first 2 hours i spent watching a powerline right-of-way about 150 yards wide, covered in CRP. after the 2 hors was up, i hadn't seen anything, so i decided to try and make something happen. so i started walking through the CRP and jumped a 110-120 class 8 pointer, i would have shot but i knew what potetial this particular piece of property held. while gun season was in my crew and i run 14 bucks off of it in 2 days, due to lack of hunting pressure in the area, 3 would easily push the 160 mark, so i let him walk off.

then i got through the CRP and continued on through a rolling field of about 80 acres, low and behold, 60-70 yards away there stood the same buck browsing in the field about 200 yards from where i jumped him. i watched him through the scope for about 10 minutes as he finally made his way into one of the deep hollars. well after seeing him browse in the field as i did, i thought let's just sit right here and see what happens. so i flopped down at the base of the high line power tower and waited. shortly there after the same buck comes back into the field with 3 does.

i watched them play and eat for about a half hour then watched them go into another deep hollar. i stayed put for about another hour and made my way to the hollar they had gone to. got to the edge, being very stealthy and found all 4 of them laying down, wind shifted and they scattered.

HERE COMES THE FUNNY PART!!! the buck had run back up in the field to my NE, got acrossed the field and went to jump the fence, this is not your ordinary babed-wire fence, it is 6 strands high, top strand being chin high to a person 6 feet tall.

well he tried to jump the fence and didn't make it, bouncing off of it like a bouncy ball and slamming to the ground. i pretty much fell down in the field laughing as he tried the second time and failed again. so he picked a different spot and tried again and yes, he failed again, but this is where i started to feel bad for him. on his third try as he fell his bag legs became tangled in the bottom 2 strands. he layed there kicking and bawling like a fawn.

well i made my way closer to him and could see that he was hung good and kinda tearing the hell out of his back legs. as i stood there 30 yards away i could tell he was just tagling himself worse, probably panic because i was so close. i thought to myself, ust go ahead and kill him but i didn't. i went to the fence posts on both sided of him and undid the wire holding the bottom strands. i think at this point he was trying to kill me because he kept throwing his horns in my direction. well as he layed there and kicked i kept trying to get as close to his legs as i could and seperate the wires. long story short, after about 10 minutes of trying and cussing this deer out he was able to kick himself free, but not without leaving some meat on the fence, and really favoring his back legs as he ran.

another funny thing was just as i seen him get free i ran to the nearest tree for safety, but he took off in the opposite direction, not even stopping to say thanks!

What a day????

Sounds to me like you did have an exciting day.....I myself got a yearling untangled from a fence...It made me feel good, but it was a little dangerous. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom