Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gear advice

Fletch

I've got the hunting fever bad - since it's another month til season I might as well buy something to see if that curbs the anxiety. Need some advice/reccomendations.

I'm looking to get some new camo. Bibs and a jacket, middle weight (not heavily insulated but not simply a cotton shell). I don't want to spend a great deal - don't need a $250 coat to crawl through the woods. Any recommendations? I took a look at the Gander Mountain Guide Series - they have a lot of nice features but I think they are geared more towards rain gear and might not stand up to all the washings I give my clothes during the season.

Also looking at climbing sticks. I currently use sky hooks to get into the tree - they're real convenient but it takes some time to screw in the bolts, especially when you are trying to set up 6 or more stands. Two questions...Can someone recommend a good set (Lone Wolf)? Also, I cuss every year that I have too much gear as I walk to the stand - what with my bow, rattling antlers, stand, fanny pack, etc. It's hard to sneak in without clanking and catching brush. Am I just making it worse with some 3-4ft step sections on my back? What's everyones experience?

Thanks - Fletch

Fletch,

I will only suggest what I have used and I am very happy with.

I'd recommend looking at Cabela's "Microtex Clothing". It is strong, fade resistant, breathes excellent and is reasonably priced. You can buy it insulated or non insulated.

As for climbing sticks, I use Non Typical "Rapid Rails" Four sections will get you an easy 15' or better. These are easy to set, extremely stable, not limited to a straight line set up and are light. I like setting multiple stands also. I usually set them prior to the day I hunt so I only have to carry in the Rails. Keeps theft to a minimum also.

Here's the link to NT.

http://www.nontypicaltreestands.com/rapid.html

I use a Cat Quiver III. It is a backpack and arrow quiver in one. I don't like to carry a ton of stuff with me. If I need to though, the cat quiver does a nice job of keeping it organized, quiet and simple. These can be found a Cabela's also.

Good luck.
beerchug.gif

Top Bottom