Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gettin Worried

I grew up on a large farm in the 50's & 60's. There were very few deer, and fewer hunters. Back then; our family along with several friends and relatives could hunt every farm in a 20 mile radius. Many farmers didn't even believe they had deer. My grandfather did not allow anyone to shoot a doe. This mindset carried on for many years, and was passed on to many up and coming hunters. The only predators for deer at that time were wild dogs (which we dispatched of on every opportuntity). While balancing a herd is important; the way of perserving our resources seems to be lost. I hope we don't have to go back to rebuilding our deer herd in Iowa.

I think it is clear that many areas in Iowa now have a deer population that is well below what many hunters are used to and also below what they would prefer to see. Remember though that many landowners/farmers are now getting to a happy place as the number of crop eaters is down so much.

Not all areas are down like this though and I think we should keep that in mind too. Some areas still need does to be taken to keep things in balance or even to get things in balance.

At our place, numbers are down yes, but not to the extent that many others are describing. We had been shooting 8-10 does a year, we cut that back to 4 so far this year. (Note - my neighbor is one that wants them all killed and I know that he allowed some late season doe hunters in last year that knocked out 8 or 9 in one day. I am only saying this to illustrate that the "right number" of deer is a very fickle thing. My neighbor and I get along pretty well, but our ideas of how many deer should be out there are pretty far apart.)

The DNR is in a no-win situation I feel, no matter what policies they implement some group(s) is going to be unhappy about things. By the sounds of things from other hunters, I would not shoot any does in some areas myself, but I know that approach does not fit every property in Iowa.

I'll say it again, the hunters MANAGE the population not the DNR, you shoot all the does don't complain.:thrwrck: I'll be buying two tags next year (bow and muzzleloader) and they will be BUCK tags only even if they say any sex on them.

X2. :way:

Personally, I think this year, in particular, is really hard to judge the actual number of deer in one's herd. We run a dozen or so cameras and nearlly all of our movement has occurred at night....hence why we're not seeing anything while on stand. I don't know if it had something to do with the messed up moon phases this year or what, but our daytime movement is pretty much nothing.

I personally get real tired of hearing about way too many deer in SE Iowa. I live and work in SE Iowa and drive 60 plus miles each day through Davis, Wapello, Jefferson, and Van Buren counties on highways, blacktop and gravel roads. I live next to a large public hunting area and I will tell you that I see very few deer. I leave for work at 7AM and drive home at 5;30 PM and haven't seen a deer since Christmas Eve. My Brother-in Law lives in Van Buren county near Douds and we did see 6 or 7 deer on Christmas Eve going over there but in years past we would see 60 or 70 deer on the same 15 mile trip. The few deer we did see were near a standing corn food patch left by a farmer/outfitter and that was it. I haven't hunted this year because I had prostrate surgery before Thanksgiving, but I have talked to hunters and keep an eye on the State ground that borders my land and those guys have seen almost nothing. I talked to a guy and his son, whose Mother used to be my neighbor, who has hunted most of this ground for as long as I have and they did admit to missing a couple of shots. This was on the last Sunday of the 2nd shotgun season about 2:00pm and they had not killed a deer, and had seen very few at all, despite hunting both weekends and 2 days besides.

I certainly am not calling any one a liar, but those who claim to see 80 or 100 deer in a field each and every night, I feel must be exaggerating some. I am all over the place down here at all times of day and I honestly have never seen that. Those 80 deer could also be every deer in 5 or 6 square miles, depending on food sources. Since the snow last weekend there have been 3 or 4 deer tracks crossing my yard and lane where there used to be a dozen or more. All in all, just like I have been harping about for several years now, the deer population around here is WAY DOWN and bound to drop even more as hunters come down to SE Iowa to HELP us with our over population problems and so that they can shot does with a rifle from 200 yards away just because it is NEAT to do that.

I also read that all the farmers down here want as many deer killed as possible because they are eating all their corn. Right now I believe that there are probably fewer deer than we had 10 or 15 years ago and even though we still heard about crop damage then it wasn't the out cry that it is now. I know that deer can eat a fair amount of corn, but as we also know they must eat other forage because they can't digest a strict diet of corn. I think that the crop damage problem stems more from $5.60 a bushel corn vs $3.00 a bushel corn like it was 15 years ago. Plus with the much higher yields now the deer are actually eating a smaller percentage of the total crop than they were 15 years ago when no one was screaming to kill every doe in sight. I am not saying that farmers aren't entitled to make a profit, but that they aren't entitled to pressure the DNR and others to over harvest our deer herd just to increase that profit, which is a big part of what has been happening for a few years.

Amen to Bowmaker...I hunt to the north of Douds a ways,,,and as stated before,,,definate drop in numbers since I moved here. I used to shoot one doe per yr. This year,,I am feeding them. As far as farmers making a profit. The ones around here are doing great!!

If your not sure about the numbers a good way to get an idea of what they are in an area is to go shed hunting. I bet guys won't be finding as many sheds this year or in the following few years. You also wont find as many main trails or feeding areas.

One thing I have noticed is the lack of deer hit by vehicles.I live in central Iowa and I have seen like 2 deer since October on the route I take to work.Normally there are deer hit at least every week in that area Im talking about.The numbers are down for our area I do believe that without a doubt but by how much Im not sure yet.I start hunting late muzz next week and that will be when I will see just how much.

Numbers are down at the friendly confines. I have ceased all doe harvesting. They could walk up to my tree carrying a stew pot, cut up carrots and onions and jump in Bugs Bunny style and they aren't getting an arrow.

Top Bottom