Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

getting deer away at dark?

peterb

just wondering how u guys get some deer away from your stand once its well past shooting hours. i had two smaller does bed down 15 yards behind my tree and i had to get going to do stuff in town. they ended up busting me once i was half way down the tree. its like they never seen a hunter before. they just stood there while i packed up my bow and was walkin towards them. the next time though i dont want them to be aware that it was me up there and jsut something else. i have heard of throwing rocks, would that work? thanks

I just get out of my stand and start walking. I did this one year with a real big buck and a doe. I seen them run and i hunted the same stand the next morning. The two of them were back out in the same field the next morning eatting. I don't think they really know what you are in the dark.

I usually wait til its good and dark and get down and make a bit of noise...breaking twigs or rustling leaves.

Did this on a good 12pt one night. Didn't hear him coming til I was halfway down the tree. Sat at the base and made some noise and he just walked off the other way...musta thought I was a coon or something. Shot him outta the same tree 2 nights later.

I have not had any luck other than walking into them.The other night I had 30 deer in the field when I left.It was dark and I kept the flashlight off.Some deer let me walk within feet of them actually making me a little nervous.Many just watched me walk out and never flinched.

this is a tuffy....
i like to blow at them like im a deer blowing at somthing,
that usually gets them to get off the field, but still i dont like doing it....

i know they cant see in the dark as well as they can during daylight....duh, so im pretty convinced they arent really aware of WHAT you are so they may not associate you as "hunting pressure"
but if you can get out without spooking deer, or take another way....id rather not spook them, however, some times there is no other option

i put a zip line from my stand to where i want to got, when it's time to leave, zzzzzzzziiiiiiiippppppppp. i'm gone!!!!

i just casually climb out and walk away, generally see the same deer again so i don't think they get too leery(sp).

Never tried it but I have hear people say to just clap really loud and they will generally just exit the area. Anyone done this and had luck???

I've also done the coyote howl with some success....

Most of the time I just climb down after dark and walk out.If you keep walking at a steady pace and don't stop they will usually just watch you walk out.Some will trot a few yards then watch you from a safe distance then come right back.I really think the key is not stopping just keep walking like you don't even acknowledge them.

Jeez, you guys are lucky, by the time Shotgun season comes around the deer bolt at the slightest noise.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i put a zip line from my stand to where i want to got, when it's time to leave, zzzzzzzziiiiiiiippppppppp. i'm gone!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be sweet...right up to the moment the ground ran into me.
grin.gif

If it is queit, I try dropping my fanny pack or some off the wall noise like others have suggested. If it is windy or really dark, I don't worry too much about it. Just get down and go.

Top Bottom