Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

getting into bow hunting

Jordan46

I would like to get into bow hunting for the up coming season, so I have been looking at bows so I can practice all summer to be ready. I really like elite synergy but Im not sure if I should really dive in with a $900 bow. I was at scheels today and they had a g5 quest rogue bow thst appeared to by the package with a rest, sight, and quiver that was on sale for $399. Would this bow still be a good bow to get started with or am I better off just saving up more and getting the elite synergy.

If you are just getting started, there will be a lot of stuff you will want to buy. I would buy whatever bow you can comfortably afford and what feels good for you. I have been bowhunting over 20 years and have a hard time dropping $900 on a bow. I am shooting a 8 year old bow now. If you are really stuck on the elite, you can always cruise archerytalk classifieds and I bet you will find a slightly used one much cheaper. The G5 will kill deer just as dead as the synergy.

Be warned, you will become totally addicted!!!

Go with what you can afford and are comfortable with. I know people who have missed plenty of deer with $1,000+ Set ups and multiple guys who kill deer with bows older than me. there are plenty of deals out there that work great. And like stated above- get ready to become completely addicted

Agreed go to archery talk.com. Look at the energys if you like elite not much difference in my opinion but synergys the new model so a lot less used available and more money. You can pick up a loaded energy for about $650.

Last edited:
Bowhunting is my favorite outdoor activity, and has been for over 30 years, but there's no chance I'd drop $900 on a bow. Plenty of great options out there in the $400-$600 range. Good luck, and have fun!

NWBuck

I am sure there are a lot of good deals on used bows now. If it were me I would go new or a higher end used bow. True any bow will kill deer but you get what you pay for. Get something that truly feels great and you will shoot it a long time. I have to budget all my purchases but I have learned going cheap isnt a good move. Stands, climbing sticks, harness. Bow, arrows, spend more and you will get a better product mostly. Buy less and buy quality and add as you go. You dont get far trading in or selling stuff so buy for the long haul. You can always spruce up an old bow with new accessories.

I've been looking at used bows but hard to find left handers and ones with longer draw lengths. Which is one thing I like about the g5 since lithe draw length can be adjusted on the cams without a bow press. I think I will test shoot the g5 and see how it feels. Thanks for all the advise

I would go w/ a bare bow (not BEAR) that you can afford. Then buy the accessories you want for it. I bought a package bow this winter & I wish I had gotten a bare bow because I've upgraded & replaced almost everything on it just 3 months later.

I know of a mathews switchback "absolutely great bow" and a few other newer models. Shoot me a pm and ill see what I can dig up. All lefties

Welcome to a great and very frustrating sport lol. Be prepared to get addicted quick. Don't go spending a ton of money on arrows. I shoot the Scheels rogue 400 spine arrows and have had nothing but success with them. No need to drop $90 on a half dozen arrows.

I'm attaching a link to what I believe is a pretty good deal on a bow from a local guy around here. I'm partial to Mathews also...

Do some auction searching and craigslist hunting this summer. I normally see tree stands go for $5-30 bucks all day long at an auction depending on brand and whose at the auction. I bought 4 self hangers last year for $5 a piece.

Goodluck and welcome to the dark side ;)

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/spo/4913220216.html

Welcome to a great and very frustrating sport lol. Be prepared to get addicted quick. Don't go spending a ton of money on arrows. I shoot the Scheels rogue 400 spine arrows and have had nothing but success with them. No need to drop $90 on a half dozen arrows.

I'm attaching a link to what I believe is a pretty good deal on a bow from a local guy around here. I'm partial to Mathews also...

Do some auction searching and craigslist hunting this summer. I normally see tree stands go for $5-30 bucks all day long at an auction depending on brand and whose at the auction. I bought 4 self hangers last year for $5 a piece.

Goodluck and welcome to the dark side ;)

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/spo/4913220216.html
I am pretty well covered with treestands, just looking to branch out from muzzleloader only hunting

Top Bottom