Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting into the Digital World

bushman

OK, So i'm a bit out of the loop. The only trail cams i have are.....35mm. I'd like to get into the digital world. My ground is a couple hours drive from my house so i'm looking for something with a good batery life and lots of picture storage capabilities. Now, I'm looking to spend about $300. What would you guys recomend for cameras. Also, would you spend $300 on one cam of split it and buy multiples. what cams would you buy for either option? thanks guys, i know i'll get some help.

I have the Moultrie I-40's and love them. Great battery life and very good pictures/videos. Uses SD cards up to 4GB for around $200.00

Caz

For around $100, I'm satisfied with my Moultrie D40. Picture quality is ok and I get about a month of operation out of 6 Energizer D cells (somewhere around 1,000-1,500 pics).
A few things I don't like is the bluish tint to the pics and that the camera loses time (somewhere around 1-2 hours/week) but I'd buy another one if I was in the market.

I'm sure there are better cameras out there, but I'll agree with the Moultrie I40. Great battery life, and easy to setup.

I use a cuddeback IR and a Moultrie gamespy 200...the moultrie uses a 6 volt rechargable..if the temps aren't too cold it will last between 2 to 3 weeks (200 pics or so). The cudde has been out for 7 weeks right now and has taken about 900 pics and still shows 75% battery life. ( 4 D cell batteries)

Trigger speed sucks on the moultrie and is amazing on the Cudde.

i have a moultrie d40 also,30 day battery life,bass pro had them on sale for 69.99 a week ago,but now are 99.99 again.can't beat it for the price

I have Cuddebacks, stealths and Moultrie's. Depending on what you want to spend, the cuddeback flash cams such as the excite are great cams, with awesome battery life and trigger speed. Another one to look at is the Moultrie I60. This summer, the I60 has taken close to 2500 pics on one set of batteries. Very good battery life, but trigger speed is a little slower. The moultrie M60 seems to be a great camera as well.

I have older stealths,which I really like, but so far, I am not impressed with the new ones.

By FAR my two fave cams are my P41 homebrews. They simply outshine any cam on the market that I could even begin to afford. Moultrie I60 does GREAT on batteries but half the pics are washed out and the trigger speed is too slow for my liking. M60 wasn't bad but it took a drink in the flood this year and both Stealths I own are royal POS's with crappy trigger speed and battery life. There is one production cam that's somewhat recently hit the market called Scout Guard. They run about $200 and are getting stellar reviews over at Chasingame.com for the long battery life and 1 second trigger time. They might be worth a look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By FAR my two fave cams are my P41 homebrews. They simply outshine any cam on the market that I could even begin to afford. </div></div>

I second that!

I prefer the homebrews also. I tried a $300 outfit from Cabela's, don't remember the brand, ended up sending it back for a refund. I made a homebrew with an S40 Sony off Ebay, found someone to do the hack, got a kit from Whitetail and probably have $200 in it. The S40's a cheaper Sony and it's a little harder to find someone to do the hack. When I do another, it'll probably be a P32. The S40 takes good enough pictures for me!
My vote goes with the homebrews. Read about them on the pinned section of this forum. That's what got me started.

Cuddebacks for me got 2 excite couldn't be happier with them, there two new cuddebacks the capture and capture IR. ther round $200 bucks i think they say its got faster trigger speed then the original cuddeback like 1/2 sec or sumthin.

I have a cuddeback I/R a moultree I-60 and finished my first s40 homebrew this year. By far the homebrew produces the best pictures, offers the most flexability to adjust your camera to do what you want it to and was one heck of a fun project to build. Here are a couple good links if you are interested in building your own.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618170
http://www.hagshouse.com/Hags%20House/Trail%20Camera%20Project.htm#MOTION%20SENSORS
http://depreyswildlife.com/Mods/TrailCameraMods.html
http://www.yeticam.com/Control_Board_Overview.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's a p41 home brew cost? Anyone have one they want to sell? What about IR vs. White Flash? </div></div>

I prefer white flash in the homebrew arena because most of the cam's flashes aren't adequate to get the flash distance you want with IR so it means more parts, $$, and complication. As for the price of a P41 build, completely depends on what kind of deal you can get on the cam itself. These are all cams that are no longer produced so we buy them on ebay, Craigslist, pawn shops, etc. All the other parts are pretty much a given cost and found online. There are other cams that work well too with a good track record of being hacked...P32, S40, some Olympus cams etc. Typical cost for P41 build is around $225 to $275. P32 and S40 are less. The biggest undertaking is getting your feet wet with all the flood of info that's out there and actually figuring out how to do it. It IS a time consuming process starting from scratch. Sometimes ebay and outdoor forums have completed homebrews for sale. Check the want ads at Chasingame and Hagshouse.

Top Bottom