Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting permission...

Fletch

Unfortunately I will be searching for a new place to hunt next year. I have been hunting the same places for a number of years, but on one they are building recreation roads that has pushed the deer out, while on the other a couple big bucks showed themselves and the place has been overrun with hunters the kind of hunters that drive their ATVs and pickups through the woods and literally park within steps of their tree stands. Next year I plan to introduce my 6 year old to deer hunting and I want him to have a good experience, not the free-for-all.
So needless to say I will be gathering my plat maps and aerial photos and hitting the road this year. So my question is, what do some of you folks do to convince a reluctant farmer to let you hunt and how do you approach the subject of limiting the number of hunters allowed? I usually share the deer with the landowner, stop by during scouting trips and offer a hand, send cards at the holidays, etc. I would love to get exclusive rights to a property, but dont have a clue on how to approach the subject with the landowner (short of leasing or buying property, which may be my next step). What are some things you guys have done?

When I moved to Iowa this summer I did not know where to start. I hit the roads and stopped by a lot of farms. Lots of No's but I did find 2 places that I am the only hunter on during bow season. I approached the men and just shot them straight. Told them I had nowhere to hunt and I would be willing to give them meat and help out on the farm. I have helped with some of the chores and believe it or not the guys where I hunt just like having company sometimes. Just be genuine and don't get frustrated.

Fletch

The best thing you can do you already said you will be doing. Introducing you boy to hunting. Bring him along with you when you ask landowners and tell them them that. When I was looking around for a few places close to home to bring my nefew this year I did'nt have one person turn me down. One guy even made us jump in his truck so he could show us where the deer came out, what time they came out, and where we should put the stands.

It just seemed like landowners were very willing to help out when kids were the involved. It is a nice way to get your foot in the door anyway and let the landowner get to know you.

Top Bottom