Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting Ready to Plant..... Suggestions

risto2351

Getting ready to plant my plots this weekend. I have 5 different plots.Three
are rather large and the other two are in the woods. Half of the large three has my perennial already growing. I will plant the other half plus the two in the woods with an annual. The farmer has corn and alfalfa already planted.

Dbl.Tree, Pharmer and the rest of you what do you recommend I plant? I am going to Cabela's this weekend. Last year I did a variety of each but was wondering what the rest of you thought.

Dbl. Tree the one I mentioned earlier that was hilly I think I am going to put some Gly Star on it a couple of times and then broadcast some clover on it. I planted some clover around the edges last year and it worked out real well.

Thanks for your input.

Risto

Dunno? Sounds like you have perennials covered. Farmer is going to harvest corn so even if you do some corn and leave it stand that could be OK. Beans for an annual now is good. I first planted some ShotPlot last year and it did great but I think I'd wait til later to plant. I converted a couple of large patches to clover this spring so all I put in for plots was a mix of sunflowers and sorghum with some old alfalfa mixed in- we'll see.

You could always try a mix of RR corn and beans- if it wiped out by fall you still have time to do rye or winter wheat.

Have fun!

Pharmer,
Thanks for the response.
The farmer also mentioned planting corn because it would be the only thing standing after he cuts his down.
I planted some Tecomate brassica last year and we really pounded the does. I really like the Brassicas for late season. I past up 18 bucks hoping they grow a year bigger and larger this year. Only one above 170 inches. But no shot. With my busy schedule I will need to get it in this weekend or it will never get planted. Thanks again.
Risto

[ QUOTE ]
Pharmer,
Thanks for the response.
The farmer also mentioned planting corn because it would be the only thing standing after he cuts his down.
I planted some Tecomate brassica last year and we really pounded the does. I really like the Brassicas for late season. I past up 18 bucks hoping they grow a year bigger and larger this year. Only one above 170 inches. But no shot. With my busy schedule I will need to get it in this weekend or it will never get planted. Thanks again.
Risto

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your doing something right for sure! My favorite is corn whenever possible. Are you thinking of broadcastng the clover on untilled ground? Not sure about that this time of year... if you can nuke the cover and work it but at this point pharmers thoughts on RR beans might be a better choice...then you could frost seed clover next winter...or if they hammer the beans off to nubs you could till and summer plant clover in August. (or brassicas, rye etc.)

Dbl. tree,
Thanks for the help.
We nuked the ground first last year and then harrowed the heck out of it in that hilly piece I mentioned. I looked last weekend during turkey hunting and the clover did just fine. The Buck Forage oats were gone right away. We nuked it about the same time last year.
As far as the brassicas I usually put them in the spring and take care of them until fall. Is this not correct?
As far as all the deer Iowa has a way with all the deer I just try to fatten them up.
grin.gif
The big thing that I do is I have about a 30 - 40 acre tract that we seldom hunt right in the middle of the land. Kind of a sanctuary. Only hunted it once last year trying to get my 15 year old a buck.
Thanks again for the help.

Risto

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the brassicas I usually put them in the spring and take care of them until fall. Is this not correct?
Risto

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on which brassica combo you plant they are generally more attractive if planted in August. The first frost will make them very tasty!
smile.gif

I would use the clover for summer forage, forage brassicas for "fall candy", standing corn and turnips for late fall/winter attractant.
Sounds like you got a good thing going on there already!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom