Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting rid of the three day doe season?

gansomn

I know this season has been aroung for a few years but does anyone else think its time for is to go. The tragic death of a fellow hunter should be reason enough for us to start thinking, do we really need another gun season. I was bow hunting saturday morning with my son when the shots started in. Oh and did I mention we are in total camo. Who is looking for us? If you are gun hunting and the DNR sees you with out your blaze orange on you are in trouble. If you the poor bow hunter who was killed because you were not wearing orange, well sorry to your family. I am tired of our DNR not thinking about the big picture and thinking more about $$$.

Ten thousand tags sold is a lot of money and something they will not want to let go, but how much is the life of a hunter worth. Thanks for the soap box. I am just getting started.

I can understand its following but it really does nothing to help with the theoretical deer problem. I really did not hear many shots and the ones I did were probably duck hunters but still, I was out there in full camo forgetting the season was underway. I'd like to see it go away in the future but that is just my opinion. If you look at it, Iowa has around 9 weeks or more of gun seasons if you count early ML, late ML, doe seasons and Shotgun seasons and what the youth can use during the early season...

That is probably more gun hunting than any state for whitetails????

Personally if there a truly a threat because there are bow hunters and gun hunters in the timber together then cut bow season off early. If you want to compare lengths of season you have to actually look at what people can do. You can only have 1 anysex tag for firewarms. So thats Early ML -OR- 1st Shotgun -OR- 2nd shotgun.

The DNR also warns bow hunters to wear orange during the november season.

Lastly, a hunter being killed is tragic, but cannot necessarily be eliminated by eliminating the season, if the same hunting practices are continued then the tragedy can happen anythime.

Cut bow season off early??? That's blasphemy!!! (spelling?) JK, but seriously you only get one anysex bow tag also. The obvious reason you have a longer season for bow is because it is much more difficult than with any firearm. If you want more time in the field buy extra doe tags. These extra seasons are simply for reducing deer numbers that are already on a downward slope. It is time for these seasons to go. IMHO

does anyone have details about the hunter that was killed? from my understanding the three day doe only season is private land only and only in certain counties. Did the accident happen on private land? was it a gun or bow hunter? Just curious

I vote it needs to go. There was a lot of 4 wheelers chasing something and shots fired in my neck of the woods. I didn't feel safe at all. I did shoot a busted up 130ish buck at 4 though.

Personally if there a truly a threat because there are bow hunters and gun hunters in the timber together then cut bow season off early. If you want to compare lengths of season you have to actually look at what people can do. You can only have 1 anysex tag for firewarms. So thats Early ML -OR- 1st Shotgun -OR- 2nd shotgun.

The DNR also warns bow hunters to wear orange during the november season.

Lastly, a hunter being killed is tragic, but cannot necessarily be eliminated by eliminating the season, if the same hunting practices are continued then the tragedy can happen anythime.

you forgot Late muzzy for an any sex season, thats my favorite. A whole lot safer.

Yeah, I officially hate the special season,

On Friday after thanksgiving I went to my stand and low and behold I started hearing shots from everywhere. I am actually thinking that it might be ok and it will get the deer moving some more as I am set up on a creekbed that is kind of a travel corridor.

Well it did.

At about 4:45 I see the buck of a lifetime (180 + with a droptine) pop out on the ridge 75 yards away from me with 4 does. They come straight down the ridge into the creekbed I am in and I lose sight of them in the trees.

Not 15 minutes later the does are on top of me and I am full of adrenaline thinking this buck is going to pop out at any second.

All of the sudden I hear world war III from the timber across the highway about 800 yards away and the does around me scatter. I am looking for the buck everywhere running through the fields around me and don't see him anywhere.

I didnt think much of it at the time because I was just happy as heck to see that deer in the area....especially with shotgun season in about a week!

Well low and behold my grandparents come home from church on Sunday telling me about a monster that was shot by son of the guy that owns the timber where I heard all the shooting from. He said it was over 192 Gross according to the guy.

It was shot on Friday night in that exact timber....and an anysex bow tag was slapped on it.

Of course I have no way to prove that it wasnt shot with a bow.....but if there was someone bowhunting in that timber friday night with all of those shots then I am a monkeys uncle.

And if there was another 190 inch buck in the area then I am going to hit the lottery next week.

It sust makes you wonder how often this scene played out last weekend...:mad:

I vote it's time for them to go. Just another excuse for irresponsible hunters to go out and poach bucks. I understand that a few bad apples are ruining it for everybody but theres way to many bucks getting shot.

Not to mention deer #'s are probably around 50% of what they were 3-4yrs ago so the seasons did what they were intended for, it screws up a good week of bow season, and it screws up a lot of shotgun hunters seasons.

It was like world war three in Allamakee county for those 3 days. Either these guys are horrible shots or they killed a pile of deer.

Last edited:
Time to end it. Breckhawk did you call the DNR and let them know something was fishy going on. You never know what they might turn up.

special doe season

Yeah, I officially hate the special season,

All of the sudden I hear world war III from the timber across the highway about 800 yards away and the does around me scatter. I am looking for the buck everywhere running through the fields around me and don't see him anywhere.

That quote made me laugh (World War III). I can sure relate. Northern MN during the rifle season---first morning---constant shots!

It is definitely time for it to go away. It served the DNRs purpose and cut the number of does way down like they wanted. I took my son one year and it did lieterally sound like WWIII around us. Made me nervous as heck having my son out there around all of that craziness so we only hunted for a few hours and have never went again.

I think honestly this season was brought upon bowhunting season to punish us a bit for not shooting more does. I remember 5 years ago or so, one of the DNR heads saying (about bowhunters) "If you guys don't shoot more does, you won't like our solution for the situation." Anyone else remember that statement???

Their solution has created some very dangerous situations in the woods. I don't care if a bowhunter is wearing orange....if he is situated on the front lines of a deer drive he is in serious trouble.

Their solution has also killed numerous bucks both mature and buttons. It is a wonderful time for lazy dishonest people to fill their anysex bow tag.

I think it's time for the DNR to step back and let the landowner and hunter come up with a harvest plan on a microscopic level for that particular tract of land. Only the ones who live out there and hunt out there know what the numbers are FOR THAT SPECIFIC AREA.

Make all landowners/tenants/hunters fill out a survey and harvest plan for their specific land and deer population. If they don't keep the population in check other measures can be taken......kind of like the weed commission.

A drive around the country roads will tell you who (sanctuaries) is responsible for skewed numbers in the overall population survey. Now, if it's those deer in the sanctuaries that are the problem with motor vehicle accidents then the landowners choice to not let anyone hunt is effecting personal property and safety. Bring in some sharpshooters to get the sancuaries to an acceptable level......and send the landowner a big fat bill for having to do that.

The DNR can tell from the hide if the buck was shot with a bow or a gun. Call them. END THE NOVEMBER ANTLERLESS SEASON.

Top Bottom