Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

GHOST JR. AND GIRLSHUNTTOO + Story

Re: GHOST JR. AND GIRLSHUNTTOO

Very cool Ghost! Congrats tp both the ladies!
waytogo.gif

Re: GHOST JR......The Story!

The previous weekend was spent in the rain trying to get my ten year old son Gabe a fourth season bird. No gobbles and nasty conditions left us both quite discouraged.

I told him to keep his chin up as a good day would come soon. He had put his time in last year as well as this years youth season and was really wanting to connect on a Tom.

The morning was cold and crystal clear and It felt like perfect conditions to get some birds fired up. We had been invited to join one of our friends on a hunt on her "Grannies" ground where they had been seeing plenty of action.

We set up the spread of decoys which included a newly fabricated "Ugly Tom",... the result of creative drin...I mean thinking. The spread looked good and we settled into the blind.

I was on the far left, Gabe in the middle, and Rae on the far right. I was a bit apprehensive about the blind which had three windows instead of the Double Bull I have been spoiled with. But it prooved to be a good set up anyway.

With the clear sky, daylight approached in a hurry and the morning silence was broken with gobbles near and far in every direction.

The group of birds that were closest were behind the blind about 150 yards away. Just prior to fly down I started "cutt'n" aggressively to make sure they knew there was action waiting for them in our field.

After fly down, it was real quiet for about five minutes. I gave a loader than normal series of urgent yelps and was cut off by gobbles about 50 yards to our West. Bingo, they are on the way!

At this time, Gabe looks at me and says "I have to PEE real bad!" Oh, great I think.....

Next thing you know Rae peaks out the side window of the blind. She turns around and her eyes look like she just saw a "Ghost"...pun intended! She says, "They are right there!"

I tell Gabe to get his gun ready on the shooting stick and slowly click his safety off.....be ready!

I look out the far window and there are four mature gobblers all in full strutt about 15 yards out and standing all around the first hen in the decoy spread.

At this point, Rae and I can see the birds perfectly and are on pins and neddles with 4 pairs of eyes looking everything over. Gabe can still not see the Toms. I am shaking with excitement and they are putting on quite a show strutting in circles around one another.

They make there way in front of Gabe's window and I am just waiting for the gun to boom. And "BOOM" it does,...I see the feathers fly off the lead birds neck and all H E double hockey sticks breaks loose.
"Boom" again from the other side of the blind.

I am freaking out, with all the decoys and two birds flopping in the field I'm looking for a way out of the blind.

For the fourth time of the year, I attempt a forward flip with a half twist out the front window of the blind landing in wet dew soaked grass.

I race to the bird doing the most flopping and notice I still have a crystal glass call in one hand and a carbon striker in the other. I jam them into my pocket and grab the legs of the trashing Tom.

High fives and big smiles is the best way to descibe the next ten minutes. We were all very happy hunters and my son had taken his first Tom.

Special thanks to Rae for sharing a great hunt with us! And what a great hunt it was!
waytogo.gif

8375606t3-med.JPG

Awesome story Ghost...that is great! Congrats to your very successfuly turkey season! You guys have put a hurtin on those birds this year!
waytogo.gif

Great story, but I have a question... Was it your son and another young lady that got the turkeys or your son and your daughter? Either way, it sounds like a whale of a hunt. Those are nice pictures too.

I took my two boys together last Saturday and while we had a great time together, let's just say there was more wrestling and general noise making going on inside the DB than the turkeys would tolerate. It was still a blast, even if we weren't very stealthy.

Daver...not my daughter...Rae...is GIRLSHUNTTOO on the site. Nice young lady in her early twenties and my daughter is 12.

I learned a lesson about taking both kids at the same time this year. I know all about the Double Bull "horseplay!"

Got it, again, congrats to both of the hunters and Dad! It must have been quite a sight as you dove through the front of the blind to gather up the flopping birds!

It sounds like GirlsHuntToo was really on the ball with the good shot on the second tom. Great job all around!!

That is wonderful! Congrats to all of you! Way to go Gabe!!!!!!!
waytogo.gif

Looks like a couple of happy hunters. Cool story and congrats to both hunters on an awesome hunt.

Top Bottom