Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

gift ideas for landowner

D

dewclaw

I've already done mine for this past fall, but I'm curious to see what everyone else does to show there appriciation for a landowner allowing them to bowhunt.

I shut the gates, give him pictuers of the bucks I kill, & throw tresspassers off. That's all he ever asks. Since I scored 2 really good deer this year I'll probably get him a case of Baldwin's finest.

Very similar to Muddy, just do what little they ask. Mainly respect their property and share my adventures with them. I have some very long valued relationships with landowners where I even have my own keys to their gate locks. I usually take a small token of sharing the bounty to each one and let them know how much I appreciate the opportunity and they always tell me I do not need to even do that .

Dead Does!! That's all they ask for! They make a living off of their crops and eliminating as much damage as possible is the game plan. I also share some burger, sticks, and jerky! Later T$

A jug of Crown Royal works for one farmer.

Me keeping other people out and sharing my stories works with another.

My wife and I usually take another landowner and his wife out for a nice meal around the holidays.

If any of them need help, fixing fence, rounding up cattle that have gotten out, cutting trees etc...I try to help.

Pupster

I always bring them a Christmas box of goodies,pop,popcorn,candy,FFA fruit,nuts, meat[both deer and beef] and baked goods that my wife makes.I also include dog food if there is a dog.Always offer my services to help out around the farm,sometimes the best 'gift' you can give someone is a visit,just being a ear to them.

We've done new tires for his Jeep, a "V-cam" trail camera, a bow and even gift certificates. If there is something that needs to be done like cutting firewood or whatever, we help out with that too.
Our deal is alot different than most in that we stay in their home when we come to visit since we hunt with Headgears father-in-law. We always show our gratitude to "Mama" as well. I'm as drawn to Iowa for her incredible cooking as much as I am the hunting. Anyone doubting that has never had the priviledge of setting down to one of her meals!!
Whatever we do, I always go away feeling like they got the short end of the stick.

My brother and I have bought them a ham for Christmas the past three years. A 15lb in 2000 & 2001 and a 18lb in 2002(we did better in 2002).
wink.gif
Actually how good we do means nothing. We speak with him and his wife nearly everyday and tell them about the days hunt. They really enjoy seeing how excited my brother and I get after harvesting something off thier property. I just remembered that in 2001 we also bought him an arial photo 36x36, what a hit, he loved it. The farmers land we hunt is getting alot of pressure from neighbors to lease his land, so I figure that's the least we can do.

Nonres

A sales tactic from my wife that I use is too always include the wife in the gift. That way you have a relationship with both of them. Lets face it, the farming community is aging and years down the road Farmer Joe might pass away and without a relationship with Mrs. farmer Joe your access might be in jepordy. One farm I hunt I give a gift certificate for the two of them to go to a nice supper club. The Mrs. loves it because she has an excuse to get her cheap husband out for the night!!!!!! My buddy that I hunt with works at a large paper mill and he gets each farmer a case of toilet paper. He always recognizes him as the "toilet paper guy" hence a permanent connection.

WI Shedhead

Nice idea about including the wife. My wife says you can never do enough for the wife of a farmer, (or a hunter for that matter). Remember, if momma ain't happy, nobodies happy. (J.k.)

i usually give gift certificates either to a nice restaraunt or a gift certificate to a local farm store or co-op. and of coarse as much deer meat as they want.

I keep in touch with them on a year round basis. Fix gates or whatever I see needs done where I hunt. For gifts I allways try to make it something unique. This year I made a custom handforged knife for his son as a graduation gift and I had a pic of a buck I got with the V cam blown up and framed for the owner. I also buy signs and post the land for them. During rifle season I patrol the ground keeping tresspassers out.

The landowners I've hunted on have always seemed to enjoy receiving some wildlife art work and I usually have been able to come up with a few pieces somehow.

Sometimes I've ended up giving a little bigger gift than I thought. Quite a few years ago I gave away a couple Corn Field Buck prints. Didn't seem like such a big deal at the time. A few of you know that they are now very difficult to come be a and are going for $2,000-$3,000 unframed!

Now that I finally own my own land I'm on the other end of the deal. Though I never ask for, nor really expect anything my guests have been very appreciative. They almost always make a sincere (and repeated) offer to help with any labor that needs to be done (and if you own a farm there is always a lot to do). They've also dropped off gift certificates for the better half and myself at nice resturants and have even helped with prescription medications (Black Velvet or Crown Royal).

I make sure they carry their cell phones and that they have the local sheriff and conservation officer phone numbers in case they run across trespassers or hear or see suspicious activity. That is always a great help.

Top Bottom