Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

giving a gun a make over

J

jason

A friend gave me a .22, which is very old, and it is covered in rust! What is a good way to take all of the rust off of the barrel so I can reblue it. It is a semi-auto, so I can't seperate the barrel from the trigger mechanism, so can I even blue it?
And I'm wanting to strip the stock down, what products should i use for this?
Thanks and good huntin

jason

PB Blaster will cut the initial rust- I don't know about bluing, you may want to consider a flat matte camo paint if you can't. Jesse's hunting page has details on painting guns

If you're just interested in restoring it as a useable gun (not a collectible) sand it down with wet-dry silicon carbide sandpaper, starting with 220-grit and working up through 500-grit. If you want to really polish it up, get some 2000-grit paper at an auto-parts store when you're done with the 500.
When you sand the barrel, use long strips of sandpaper and sand perpendicular to the barrel, holding the ends of the paper like you're shining shoes. On flat parts on the receiver, sand back and forth the length of the piece.
Brownell's sells a cold-blue that works pretty well but you have to have it down to shiny metal.

Good luck.

Threebeards

Top Bottom