Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Giving up.

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

Ok I am confused on what to do and how to approach this ravine I'm hunting. So I have went in at noon to sit the evening and on my way in have kicked up this one big buck and he never returns while I'm there. So today I sit there at 5am and I hear him run out smashing through the timber. I sat all day today and no sighting of any deer. Now I took another way out on the other side of the ravine and seen scrapes all over. Only problem is I have to walk past the first entrance in order to reach the other side. So either way I'm screwed trying to hunt that ravine. What are your suggestions?

The farm that I hunt on has the same situation on a very good ravine. It is thick right at the top and all the deer bed there.

Can you get in from the opposite direction that you have been, down or up the ravine? Walk as far out away from your entrance point, in a field so they can't see you, if it runs into a field.

Wait for the next few really windy days and slip in slow with the wind in your favor. I got into a stand with does 3 yds away last week when it was windy. Just move when the wind does and slow way down on the crunchy leaves, try to sound like another deer milling around or a squirrel.

Build a stealth hover board and drop down from the tree tops into your stand.

My only option is jump the neighbors fence right before my ravine and then slide back in to my ravine from there side. I'm hunting a fence line ravine with the hole ravine on my side and there side is all Prarie grass.

Sounds like I would ask them for permission to do that instead of jumping the buck all the time. can you post a google map picture of this and maybe we can get a better idea of how to enter?

Sounds like I would ask them for permission to do that instead of jumping the buck all the time. can you post a google map picture of this and maybe we can get a better idea of how to enter?

I will get that map for you tonight. I'm out hunting a piece of public today. Trying a area where I know they have been eating up the remaining berries.

I had the same situation with a buck I eventually killed 3 years ago. Came in the same way every time. My guess is, the deer had me patterned and bedded in a spot where he could see me walking in. The day I shot him, I made a point to go in the long way from the opposite side, which took an extra 45 minutes to walk in.

On my way into work, I've been seeing the same 160-class buck along a wooly drainage ditch in the middle of a huge, open riverbottom field. I saw what I think is the same deer last year, yesterday, and today. He's bedding in a very secure area, where he's got a 360-degree view. I goose hunt the field, and could probably deer hunt it as well, but I'm worried that it might be more trouble than it's worth. Thing is, I have no idea how I'd be able to hunt it unless I put my waders on and walk the ditch in from the river. It would be an operation, but sometimes that's how the hardcores get it done, which is probably not me.

Top Bottom