Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gloves

Maybe this has been discussed, but what hunting gloves do you guys use/think are best? Looking for a pair to wear on colder days, even into shotgun/late season. Currently have a pair of Under Armor cold weather thin gloves (can't remember the model name, but sure you've seen them) that I use for early season and then as a liner. Been using a couple other pairs of gloves layered with these for colder weather, with hand warmers, but still get cold hands. Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

I actually don't use gloves at all come gun season- I get one of those pouches that go around my waste and I put two hand warmers in there and it is like a furnace in there and then when a deer walks by- just pull your hands out of the pouch- or do that and keep on your thin under armor gloves-

I actually don't use gloves at all come gun season- I get one of those pouches that go around my waste and I put two hand warmers in there and it is like a furnace in there and then when a deer walks by- just pull your hands out of the pouch- or do that and keep on your thin under armor gloves-

This is what I do too, even during archery season on cold days. I can't shoot with gloves on. I wear the under armour layer gloves walking in and while I hang my stand just to keep my scent on my hands suppressed but once I'm up in the tree the gloves come off and the hands go into the hand warmer muff with a couple of those heat packs. At the moment of truth I just pull my hands out and shoot.

This is what I do too, even during archery season on cold days. I can't shoot with gloves on. I wear the under armour layer gloves walking in and while I hang my stand just to keep my scent on my hands suppressed but once I'm up in the tree the gloves come off and the hands go into the hand warmer muff with a couple of those heat packs. At the moment of truth I just pull my hands out and shoot.

I used to wear thin gloves and stick my hands in hand warmer as well and it worked great most of the time.

However, I had a couple of circumstances where the deer stopped behind brush or stopped just out of range leaving me holding a bow for a long period of time with my fingers mostly exposed in single digit weather. Needless to say it doesn't take long for your fingers to get cold when you're holding a bow with an aluminum riser!

Not wanting to risk numb fingers when trying to take a shot I now wear a thin glove under a cabelas mitten with a slit at the top of your palms that you can sneak your fingers out of. I'll even put my hand warmers in the mitten. I've found I can shoot my bow fine while wearing these, my release still fits and I can still feel the release with thin glove covered fingers instead of bulky gloves.

It works great for me and I can wait till the last possible second to sneak out my fingers. On the downside they do limit the range of motion for your fingers, but I will keep using them till I find a better alternative.

Nothing keeps my hands warm like glommits. They are the mittens with the flap with finger holes. Stay warm and have great trigger finger dexterity. Add a hand warmer muff when it's really cold.

Thanks guys. I currently have a hand warmer muff and use it on the colder days. The main issue I have with it tho is that I tend to have my hands out a lot, for using my binos or calls, taking a drink, checking my phone (wife likes to text!), etc. So I end up with cold hands. And as mentioned above, grabbing a cold bow/gun with thin gloves and waiting for a shot is torture! Never really have liked mittens as I can't grip stuff "right", not sure about the glommits. Maybe my hands just get colder than most. I also use the hand warmers either in my gloves or hand muff, but sometimes find myself wanting more heat than they give. Guess I could always add more of them.

Nothing keeps my hands warm like glommits. They are the mittens with the flap with finger holes. Stay warm and have great trigger finger dexterity. Add a hand warmer muff when it's really cold.

I'll put another vote in for the glommits. My hands seem to get colder than the avg hunter, and the combination of glommits in a muff with a hand warmer keeps me nice and toasty while allowing the dexterity of bare fingers. They even make them with a little slit near the wrist that you can thread your release through. Highly recommended!

I'll put another vote in for the glommits. My hands seem to get colder than the avg hunter, and the combination of glommits in a muff with a hand warmer keeps me nice and toasty while allowing the dexterity of bare fingers. They even make them with a little slit near the wrist that you can thread your release through. Highly recommended!

Yup! Same here. Been using them for at least 15yrs. Work great

I don't wear 'em unless it's below 30 or so. I prefer a muff with heat packs over gloves. When I do, I typically use Mechanix gloves for just about everything. They do have a leather palm with that leathery smell, but a little bit of baking soda takes that smell away just fine.

Glommits. The ones at Gander MT have light glove over the fingers, no exposed skin, but are thin enough to work a realease or gun trigger well. They also have a warmer pocket right behind the top of your fingers. Have tried several other combinations and have found nothing else that allows me to keep my hands out of pockets and stay warm.

Top Bottom