Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Go-to Spring Bass Lures

MO-APE

What are your old standby lures for ponds / smaller lakes in the Spring?

Some of mine are:
-5" Senko in any color as long as it it green pumpkin or watermelon seed
-Chartreuse & white spinner bait with a single copper blade (Colorado style)
-6" lizard in green pumpkin with a chartreuse tail
-Baby 1-minus crankbait in grey ghost (shad) or baby bass

I'll change up the colors if I'm fishing muddier water but the above list is about all I use until late June.

All i fish for is bass in the farm ponds. But I like the 5" Senko's too. Texas Rigged. That's all you need in the springtime. The nicer it is, the slower I fish it. As it gets warmer, I start dragging them through cover if I can find it. I truly believe that Yamamotos are better than the cheapies. They swim so much better, and I'm convinced I get better action with them. I haven't figured out colors yet in the 4 years I've lived in Iowa, but I've found greens, browns, and blacks to be just fine.

You can't fish before May in wisconsin. When have you found the bass to start hitting the worms?

They'll hit senkos now if water temp is above 45 if fished slow. I too only fish them Texas rigged, never have tried wacky rigged. I think I'm going to try it a bit this spring. The original Senkos do seem to have much denser rubber than big box store brands (i.e. bass pro).

Have you ever tried white or pearl senkos and fished them like a jerk bait? I used to use flukes a lot before senkos and always used pearl.

this time of year you can't beat something that suspends or falls slowly. Husky Jerks are awesome, or even a floating senko with a 1/8 oz pegged nose weight. Dragging big jigs around in the shallower water, especially if there is brush piles.

this time of year you can't beat something that suspends or falls slowly. Husky Jerks are awesome, or even a floating senko with a 1/8 oz pegged nose weight. Dragging big jigs around in the shallower water, especially if there is brush piles.

Everyone knows that a Mepps Spinner and a red and white spoon are the best bass lures!!!!! :moon::moon::moon::moon::D

:way:
What are your old standby lures for ponds / smaller lakes in the Spring?

Some of mine are:
-5" Senko in any color as long as it it green pumpkin or watermelon seed
-Chartreuse & white spinner bait with a single copper blade (Colorado style)
-6" lizard in green pumpkin with a chartreuse tail
-Baby 1-minus crankbait in grey ghost (shad) or baby bass

I'll change up the colors if I'm fishing muddier water but the above list is about all I use until late June.
i think you nailed it. senkos, lizards and spinners are what works best for me too.

nacho2770 said:
Everyone knows that a Mepps Spinner and a red and white spoon are the best bass lures!!!!! :moon::moon::moon::moon::D

I have an uncle that refuses to fish anything other than a #2 Mepps gold Spinner with a squirrel tail. He does pretty well with the bass, but as a bonus he has nailed some huge, pig-bellied crappie.

Call me crazy.. but when I did a lot of bass fishing back in high school (granted this was mostly summer farm ponds) I had by far the best luck on the Banjo Minnow. Those things were money for northerns in Canada as well!

I've always had great success slow rolling a crank bait on the bottom this time of year. Make sure your' bumping the bottom with the lip and go slooow!

I've always had great success slow rolling a crank bait on the bottom this time of year. Make sure your' bumping the bottom with the lip and go slooow!
I agree. Slow rolling a firetiger small rattle trap has been what I've probably had the best luck with. Between those and any worms and tubes you can catch plenty of fish.

Coming from 10 years work experience electricity is the best way to catch green carp... or bass as some of you like to call them.

muddy said:
Coming from 10 years work experience electricity is the best way to catch green carp... or bass as some of you like to call them.

Man, you're as bad as these NoMo / So.Iowa poachers :) .

You reminded me of some Korean fisherman I used to run into on lakes around Kansas City. Their main bait was a M-80 firecracker and they literally netted every fish that rose, even 3" bluegill. Rumor was they owned an Asian food buffet.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Another vote for Senkos. Just wish they would last a little longer than 3 fish! Also like a 4 inch jerk shad along a weed line.

Call me crazy.. but when I did a lot of bass fishing back in high school (granted this was mostly summer farm ponds) I had by far the best luck on the Banjo Minnow. Those things were money for northerns in Canada as well!
I got lured into the infomercial last yr. I said what the Hell, Ill give em a shot. Well after talking to a computer for 45 min and 4 kits later i was set! :thrwrck::grin: I know im gullible. We'll the first time i got to try em out was about 1:30 in the morn on a beach under a street light, slightly drunken too. The bass were feeding on all the bugs because of the light. My first cast i had a strike. 2nd I landed a 3 lb'r. From that point on I was hooked. Fished it the next day and outfished my friend who hits tournys alot, caught around 20 or so. Fast forward a few weeks to July 4th. We got permission on a pound that carries some Huge Bass. We get there about 5:30 in the morn start to unload the Canoe and Bass Baby. One of my buds steps on the dock and instantly see's a swirl. At this point I could'nt take it any longer so i grabbed my rig and walked to the dock. My first cast i landed a 4.65lb. threw it to the other side of the dock and nailed a 5.35lb. 2 cast netted 10lbs! We got settled into the canoe and pushed off the dock. We didnt get 30ft away and cast No.3 netted a 6.58lb. cast 4 was a 6.41lb. after that I quit weighing them. no lie. All this took place with the original banjo i tied on the moment I recieved them in the mail. Minus a whole lot of those rubberbands for weedless setup. Sorry for rambling but Im all in on these. Dont care if people laugh or not!!:drink2:

I was gunna chime in with the banjo as well. To hell with the tv prestige...this thing flat out catches fish. Take 20 bucks and give it a shot. U won't be disappointed.

I go with shallow diving cranks, soft plastics, weedless jigs with a craw attached, or spinnerbaits when the water warms up.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom