Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Goals for 2006?

Blackfoot

I know this question may seem somewhat vague, which I intended it to be, but I was curious as to what YOU have done and/or are doing to prepare yourself for the upcoming deer season? For example, begun some type of shooting regimen, or any maintenance work to your equipment, scouting habits, stand placement, etc. This question is what you make it, so don't feel as if you need to specify on what subjects I mentioned above.

My second question is this: What goals have you set for yourself for the '06 season? And how do you plan to achieve these goals?

im moving from california to iowa and i started a month ago to prepare... i did my research and ive been doning evering thing possible to prepare me for when i get back there..... 2 weeks and 5 days in counting

Mine are lofty. I've got my heart set on one of 2 seperate bucks during the early muzzleloader season. That is the time of year I'll be able to get out most often and I want one of them. If I don't get lucky in October my goals will come down during the Novemeber season. I'll take the first one that tempts me, if any do. My self imposed limit is 170 or something with awesome character so it'll be tough to cut a tag at that time of year when I don't get out much.

I also want to get some pics with my new trail cam that is one the way, get a pop up set up a month or so before the season and get some stands hung before opening day. With 2 little guys scouting time is minimal but I also hope to get in some long range observation on the spot I know those big guys reside in.

After proofreading this post I realize I may very well be hanging a tag on the Christmas tree.
laugh.gif

My main goal is to have alot of fun hunting with my buddies!!!

My second goal is to locate 10-15 shooter bucks in different areas. I don't want to hunt an area where I know there isn't at least one shooter buck in it. It builds my confidence to sit there longer each and everyday. I want to be able to keep my options open, but not get my heart set on one certain buck. Every spot is different, which will be good for only certain winds, so I'm gonna need alot of options for different winds and also alot of places to hunt so I don't burn out any stands.

My third goal is to shoot at least one doe with a recurve in the first few weeks.

My fourth goal is to kill at least 10 does total for the year.

This year is gonna be a blast!!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Couldn't agree more with you LIV. Having fun is at the top of my list and after chasing turkeys with a recurve I've definately had the traditional fire lit under me again. I may not find 15 shooter bucks but I am aiming at something that will make me grin, as always.

Good luck to you all in the upcoming months of preparation.

I am 1600 miles away from IA so this question is really burning me. The good thing is, I have several stands hung in good funnel areas already up, I will make the proper adjustments 50-100yd moves on them when I return and start to watch the deer a little more. Because of space and such I didn't get to bring the bow with me, therefore I won't be able to start shooting until August, but will probably hit it every other day until season opens. The clothes and rest of the gear is ready to go, washed and stored in scent free bags.

The hunting goals include shooting as many does as I can in both IA and IL, we need to do a little house cleaning and I think I will have the time to do it. Final goal, I have my mind set on a certain buck in IL that I may reserve the tag for (unless something else to irrestible pops up). Last year this deer was 180" typical so I can't wait to see how he pans out this year. Finally, I just can't wait to get out there with my brother and dad and make some more memories.

Kratz

I have waited for this season since the boys were born. They have finally asked to hunt this year. I have taken them out with me just a few times in the past, never pressuring them to go. My goal is to yield to their goals: let them decide when to hunt, what to hunt, and how long to hunt. I'm sure I'll get out on my own a couple of times, but trying to make their seasons as enjoyable as possible takes front seat this year.

My 14 year old son is itching to go hunting this year again, asking about it almost every other day or so. I got home from work tonight and he had been shooting his bow today already.

I look forward to time spent with friends and family and with all of the habitat improvements I have made I am curious to see how the deer respond. I'll probably shoot 3-5 does myself and if a nice buck presents, he may get in some trouble himself. But I mainly want to watch my son hunt.

It's going to be a busy year, I just hope to get some quality time in the timber. Also, looking forward to dragging out one of my best friends first kill with a recurve. -- no pressure there TB
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I look forward to time spent with friends and family and with all of the habitat improvements I have made I am curious to see how the deer respond. I'll probably shoot 3-5 does myself and if a nice buck presents, he may get in some trouble himself. But I mainly want to watch my son hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my sons third season coming up, I'd love to film his hunts this year. otherwise I'll hunt for a mature buck and fill the freezer with does (or better yet, let my son fill the freezer!)
waytogo.gif

Having fun is always the top priority for every hunting experience. A specific goal for me would be to complete as many all day hunts that patience will allow
grin.gif

My goal for2006 is just to be able to go hunting again. I "blew" a disc in my lower back for the second time in may I have a lot of recovery to do before the season opens I prob. won't get to bow hunt this year due to complications but hopefully I will get to hunt late muzzle season. I am afriad that my bowhunting days my be over as the Dr says a big NO to pulling back a bow this year for sure & maybe forever.
But I keep a positive att. and am trying real hard to get things back right we will just have to wait and see what happens.
For now I just log onto Iowa Whitetail and get my fix on bowhunting
Good Luck to everyone this year.

Thats too bad RBDUDE. Maybe you can do some crossbow hunting in the future. Hope you get a chance to go out! Good luck on your recovery!
31045-cheers2.gif

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a new bow. I've been using the same bow for the past 12 years, but decided it was time to upgrade. I've been shooting my new Switchback XT and love it.

My Goal for this season is to harvest one particular buck. This will be the 3rd season in pursueing the same deer. He should be 5 1/2 years old this year. I have both sides of his shed antlers from last season, and one side from 2 years ago. I also have over 20 trail camera pics of him, from last year. He's still doing well, living in the same area, and i've had a couple sightings of him this spring already. Can't wait for season to open. He should easily surpass the 200" mark this year, like he did last year.

If I can end up arrowing this guy in the fall, it'd literally be a dream come true. I've seen bucks this big, but never had a history with one, like I do this buck.

Scout, scout, scout. Like others have said, make sure there's a shooter where I'm hunting.

Help get my son on his first deer during the early antlerless season...on video as well.

[ QUOTE ]
I have both sides of his shed antlers from last season, and one side from 2 years ago. I also have over 20 trail camera pics of him, from last year. He's still doing well, living in the same area, and i've had a couple sightings of him this spring already. Can't wait for season to open. He should easily surpass the 200" mark this year, like he did last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
PICTURES!!! Ket's see some of the sheds and trail cam photos.
shocked.gif
laugh.gif
shocked.gif

Sask,

You've probably saw these, over in Kiskys. Here are a couple pics. Last year he had an outside spread around 29".

StickersCoon.jpg

Stickers.JPG

Top Bottom