Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

gobbling toms

Greywolf

Saw several flocks out feeding in the sunshine this afternoon. One group had a tom in full strut.
Heard one gobbling on the roost yesterday morning just before sunrise. Checked the thermometer and it was 9 below! Anyone else ever heard of them gobbling when it was that cold?

It's been my experience that if a gobbler has other birds around him that are real noisey, it doesn't matter what temp, time of year or weather. Sure, they don't do it as often. Just last November I watched a couple birds in full strut that were gobbling better than some days I've seen in April. Seems to depend on the bird.

2 buddies and I were hunting late season muzzleloader this year in Southern Iowa and had a similar experience. One friend heard 4 different gobblers gobbling in the morning around his treestand and it was probably 15 degrees or so. I was a little too far away in my stand and I didn't hear the toms, but man were the hens talking. Can't wait to head out 2nd and 4th!

"Just cause there's snow on the roost, don't mean there is not a fire in the flock."
grin.gif

Just heard one this morning gobbling at something a couple hundred yards from my house. Won't be long now! I have 2 newbies to breakin this year. I hope it works out and we can get them birds.

Went out this morning and glassed 2 different flocks in one of my hunting areas.

About 25 birds in one with 5 strutting toms and a dozen in the other with 3 strutting toms.

Guess maybe I'll go ahead and buy a tag or two.

I WAS SNOW GOOSE HUNTING NEAR BETHANY MO THIS PAST WEEKEND- THIS MORNING HEARD SEVERAL GOBBLERS SOUNDING OFF IN A SMALL DRAW--SOUNDED LIKE A HALF DOZEN OR MORE AND THEY WENT BACK AND FORTH FOR ABOUT A HALF HOUR--GOD I LOVE THAT SOUND!!!!! M 350 OUT

Top Bottom