Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

goggles for prescribed burning?

Jordan46

You guys have any recommendations for goggles? I cant stand the smoke getting into my eyes when burning.

I've never tried goggles. I just try to stay out of the smoke if I can help it.

I would think an airtight pair such as underwater goggles would be the best bet. I just worry about them fogging up from sweating. Give it a try and let us know if it works.

If you are getting enough smoke in your eyes to bother you, then I suspect you may need to be more careful to stay out of the smoke as your lungs are taking a beating too and you could be endangering yourself. I would recommend reviewing your technique.

Smoke shouldn't be much of an issue when burning. Back burn, stay upwind and have proper fire breaks will allow you to avoid smoke.

I can dig through my gear and see if I have a pair laying in there. If I do, you can have them. I never wear them on Rx fires or during suppression. They hurt my face and ears all day. I usually wear a good pair of shatter resistant sunglasses.

If you are getting enough smoke in your eyes to bother you, then I suspect you may need to be more careful to stay out of the smoke as your lungs are taking a beating too and you could be endangering yourself. I would recommend reviewing your technique.

Studies over the last decade have shown that wildland firefighters suffer more long-term health damage from Rx fires than from wildfires. Staying out of the smoke is rarely an option on large burns, at least by Federal standards, but you are correct in the beating your lungs take. I don't smoke, but I won't be surprised if I ever get diagnosed with lung issues down the road.

I sometimes do it for work and when I'm watching a fire break sometimes I have to walk through the smoke to get to another firebreak

Top Bottom