Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

goin up north

sofakingfast_1

A friend and I are making a trip up North the 3rd or 4th week of May to do some fishing. He wants to go up around Decorah on the Turkey River? He says a few people have told him its good trout fishing. Does anyone have any info or tips for me? Not sure what to expect or where to go. We just plan on packing clothes, fishing gear, and the laptop and heading up north. Might try to find some mushrooms also. Any info would be appreciated.

Look around Strawberry Point. lots of great trout streams up there!

just about every stream gets pressure, so get away from the crowds, but that may require some trespass permission. but there should be some great fishing up there if the rain ever quits.

small 1/16th oz jigs and smaller, natural colors and even tipping them with corn or something can help as well.!

Great fishery up there!

take lots of pix~!!

Don't even bother with Strawberry Point, just blow right through it, haha. The only thing there is a giant strawberry. Decorah is good but I've found that around Elkader is the best. Nice land owners, little pressure, great fishing. My uncle used to hold the state record for Rainbow and he caught it in that area.

Jigs work good. Bobber fishing even works but I like to use the most ultra of ultra-lights with 4 lb. test, a very small hook tipped with a couple inches of worm and a really small splitshot. Cast above riffles and let the worm flow with the water about 1-1 1/2 feet above the worm. The worm should suspend itself if you don't weigh it down too much. With your left hand hold your line out away from your rod a little ways and when you feel some dead weight, set the hook. You'll knock 'em dead!

I wish I had time to make it up there. It's been a few years. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Get a copy of the DNR Iowa trout fishing guide with the maps of the streams. You can hit several in a day. Also check the stocking reports and get to the right streams at the right times.

You are going to have a ball, it's a great time to be in that area. Get out away from the larger towns and yo'll find some great fun and fishing.

Laptop? Leave it at home.

Thanks for the info everyone. Just got done looking up a few things and it looks like were going to stay at Backbone Park. I talked to the DNR and they said there is flashfloods and alot of high water right now. The park is open but the fishing is unaccessible. Hopefully it will be down in a few weeks.

Yeah, the turkey has been doing some major flooding this past week. Washed a bunch of debris against a railroad bridge and caused the train to crash. Still missing some of the train cars underwater....this rain this week should really wreak some havoc.

Top Bottom