Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gold Rush

turtlshell

PMA Member
Anybody watch the new episode of Gold Rush on Discovery Channel, Friday night?

If not, here's a quick summary (background to make a point)...At the end of last season the crew had finally got their mining setup where they wanted it, but weather forced them to shutdown. The last few weeks of last season an old dude joined the team on the advice of the landowner to "help offer advice".

So the crew spends the whole off-season waiting to get back and basically strike it rich...because they had the whole operation ready to mine gold.

Turns out the "old dude" (that was sent up last year) bought the whole operation. He basically let the crew do all the dirty work, and weaseled his way in to "steal" the gold.

Really reminded me of the way I lost one of my hunting farms in 2005. Anyone else ever have that happen? I know I've read a few stories on here about that before. My situation was sharing too much information about a 12pt on the property. I had "hand shake" permission (which to me is worth more than $$$) and some guy heard of my tales and made an offer to the landowner that the landowner couldn't refuse. I wish I would have known about it all because I didn't find out until 0-dark-thirty one November morning, when I got to MY STAND and that a$$-clown was sitting in it.

I thought what happened on that show Friday night, was about the lowest blow a guy without a spine could ever deliver...and it reminded me of losing that land in 2005.

How did he buy the operation if the other guys owned it to begin with? Did he buy the mining rights or something?

They did not own it, only leased it from another guy.

So this old guy bought the whole operation, the other guys worked it for their usual cut I take it? Surely they were not digging out gold without some sort of order/knowing where the gold/money was going?

owner, owned the rights to the land and mining..."the crew" leased the mining rights from the owner and gave the owner some part/cut of the overall haul.

The owner sent up a friend, "old spineless dude" to offer advice and basically check on "the crew".

"the crew" spent $300,000 of their own money on the equipment to actually mine. The hit a jackpot spot at the tail end of last season. Old spineless dude was there to see.

Over the summer, the "old spineless dude" purchased the rights&land from the owner. At the same time, "the crew" was late on a lease payment, which effectively broke the contract, which allowed "old spineless dude" to kick them off the jackpot and mine it himself.

The crew did all the work, and old spineless dude is going to reap the benefits of all their hard work. Pretty gutless, but so it goes when money's involved.

its unfortunate buuuut they did forget somehow to pay there lease.. also they cant be hurting to bad with the backing of discovery channel

owner, owned the rights to the land and mining..."the crew" leased the mining rights from the owner and gave the owner some part/cut of the overall haul.

The owner sent up a friend, "old spineless dude" to offer advice and basically check on "the crew".

"the crew" spent $300,000 of their own money on the equipment to actually mine. The hit a jackpot spot at the tail end of last season. Old spineless dude was there to see.

Over the summer, the "old spineless dude" purchased the rights&land from the owner. At the same time, "the crew" was late on a lease payment, which effectively broke the contract, which allowed "old spineless dude" to kick them off the jackpot and mine it himself.

The crew did all the work, and old spineless dude is going to reap the benefits of all their hard work. Pretty gutless, but so it goes when money's involved.

That is bushleague of the old guy, but they did not pay the lease. I know some hunters that lost leases from not paying.

Had they paid their lease, it would have not been an issue sounds like.

This is the other problem, the owner did not make squat last year so he was not happy...the Hoffman's also did not make the lease payment so what is the owner left to do really?

I really like the old guy on the show, Jack. His voice makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

But every single one of those guys on the show are idiots. Granted, Dakota Fred is the biggest douche of them all, but I've heard that those types of scenarios happen all the time with those claims. They let some idiots do all the tough digging to find their way close to the mother load, when the owner pulls the lease out from under them just before they hit it.

This show has nothing on Storm Chasers, though I'd like to hit Reed Timmer in the throat with a ball peen hammer.

I wouldnt have sold him anything and would have filled the hole in right then and there! Dakota Fred is a low down dirty Claim Jumper!

I wouldnt have sold him anything and would have filled the hole in right then and there! Dakota Fred is a low down dirty Claim Jumper!

yep, I'd have shut off the pumps and put the D9 into high gear pushing dirt back into the glory hole.

I'll have to give storm chasers a whirl. I actually saw the storm chasers vehicle (mad max lookin thing) on I-80 near Grinell two years ago. It was pretty neat.

I call it............... TV!! Drama!!!!!!!! Make'um tune in next week!!!!!! :D:D:D Eat it up!!!!!!!!! :way: There are some fat chicks buying dresses too! Watch that!!!!!!!!!!

muddy said:
This show has nothing on Storm Chasers, though I'd like to hit Reed Timmer in the throat with a ball peen hammer.

Gosh, he is super annoying isn't he, screaming all the time!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using IW

My favorite show but I couldn't agree more with you.If I was Joel on that show I would pull that dominator vehicle over and kick the living crap out of him

I really like the old guy on the show, Jack. His voice makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up

He's cool, but I can't stand the big fat puss mechanic. My back hurts, my head hurts, my toe hurts, my nose is runny. Jeez, man up and quit acting like a girl....................

Top Bottom