Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good Tax Explanation

tlambert

PMA Member
Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for
all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something
like this:

The first four men (the
poorest) would pay nothing.

The fifth would pay $1.

The sixth would pay $3.

The seventh would pay $7.

The eighth would pay $12.

The ninth would pay $18.

The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement,
until one day, the owner threw them a curve. 'Since you are all such good
customers,' he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by
$20.'Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still
wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so

the first four men
were unaffected. They would still drink for free.

But what about the other
six men - the paying customers? How could they

divide the $20 windfall
so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'

They realized that
$20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted

that from everybody's
share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would

each end up being paid
to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested

that it would be fair to
reduce each man's bill by roughly the same

amount, and he proceeded
to work out the amounts each should pay.

And
so:

The fifth man,
like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).

The sixth now paid
$2 instead of $3 (33%savings).

The seventh now pay $5
instead of $7 (28%savings).

The eighth now paid
$9
instead of $12 ( 25% savings).

The ninth now paid $14
instead of $18 ( 22% savings).

The tenth now paid
$49 instead of $59 (16%
savings).

Each of the six
was better off than before. And the first four

continued to drink for
free. But once outside the restaurant, the
men

began to compare their
savings.

'I only got a dollar out
of the $20,'declared

the sixth man. He
pointed

to the tenth man,' but
he got $10!'

'Yeah, that's
right,' exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a dollar,

too. It's unfair
that he got ten times more than I!'

'That's true!!' shouted
the seventh man. 'Why should he get $10 back

when I got only two? The
wealthy get all the breaks!'

'Wait a minute,'
yelled
the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get

anything at all. The
system exploits the poor!'

The nine men
surrounded
the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth
man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat

down and had
beers
without him. But when it came time to pay the bill,

they discovered
something important. They didn't have enough money

between all of them for
even half of the bill!

And that, boys and
girls, journalists and college professors, is how

our tax system
works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most

benefit from a tax
reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being

wealthy, and they
just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might

start drinking overseas
where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

For those who
understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not
understand, no explanation is possible.

The bad part is the bar owner would get stuck paying the tab and the 9 guys would take their other government checks and get groceries for themselves that same evening! And never think twice about it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bad part is the bar owner would get stuck paying the tab and the 9 guys would take their other government checks and get groceries for themselves that same evening! And never think twice about it! </div></div>

Speaking of the government checks and such.. You reminded me of something... One of my friends use to work at Hy-Vee in Muscatine.. He would always tell me how p***ed off he would get when customers would come up to the cash register, buy a ton of groceries with food stamps... then.. they would put a few cases of beer and a couple cartons of cigarettes on the table and whip out a huge wad of cash from their pocket and pay for the beer and cig's.. That's horse crap if you ask me.. There definately needs to be stricter laws on government funding for welfare.

How about drug testing for welfare??????

Yeah, I figure it would cost to administer, but there are plenty of government employees doing nothing all day, hell check this site =0)!!

An American can't hardly get a job without a drug test but when the government does it's hand outs it is free and clear!!!

Vote Double A in 2012!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Vote Double A in 2012! </div></div>

Once the media got a hold of the possum story it would be all over. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

lol.gif

if Obama gets elected it sounds like guy 1-4 will pay nothing, sit at the bar, watch sportscenter, and play madden all day...

guy 5-8 will continue working a middle class job working his tail off to make ends meet and never seeming to get ahead while nothing happens to the tax structure for them

guy 9&10 will be the ones in the over $250k income bracket and they will now be taxed more than ever before so that they can subsidize guy 1-4s lazy habits...

guy 1-4 will benefit by being able to abuse the system, sit at home and live the same quality of life as guy 5-8 with literally no sweat off their back...

sound like a fair system???

our country will be a different place if obama is elected and i'm not sure that i like how it looks...

i agree with double a about drug tests for welfare...

i think that if they are drawing welfare checks then they can be putting in time making society a better place to be...i know of lots of fishing areas that need cleaned up and there is tons of work to do in CR and other areas that were affected by the flood

people need to get off their lazy butts and work...but the dems don't want to offend anyone, so they will allow lazy habits and enable people to be leeches until the day they die...the problem is that since they didn't have anything else to take up their time they spent it procreating more little people with entitlement mentalities to milk the system...

[\rant]

Airassult-
You forgot that after that they go to the parking lot and get in there $30,000 truck or car. Saw that one day. Paid for there food with food stamps then went out and jumped into a new Dodge truck. Granted it was a dodge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Airassult-
You forgot that after that they go to the parking lot and get in there $30,000 truck or car. Saw that one day. Paid for there food with food stamps then went out and jumped into a new Dodge truck. Granted it was a dodge. </div></div>
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

You guys only see the bad apples... what you don't see is the people that either can't leave their homes or have extreme difficulty with ambulation due to their illness. It's like saying that since OJ got away with murder, every criminal must be getting off scott free...

As I said in an earlier post, everyone agrees that welfare could be reformed, but keep in mind that if you make it more difficult to qualify for assistance, more people that truly need it will also suffer as a result. It's somewhat of a double edged sword /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Unfortunately we can't trust people to simply do what's right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avidhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You guys only see the bad apples... what you don't see is the people that either can't leave their homes or have extreme difficulty with ambulation due to their illness. </div></div>

Then they should pass a drug test, and if they can't then TOUGH SH...Stuff!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avidhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You guys only see the bad apples... what you don't see is the people that either can't leave their homes or have extreme difficulty with ambulation due to their illness. </div></div>

Then they should pass a drug test, and if they can't then TOUGH SH...Stuff!!

</div></div>

I agree. I also think that all public servants should have to pass drug tests... congress included /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avidhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I agree. I also think that all public servants should have to pass drug tests... congress included /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif </div></div>

Won't hear me disagree with that. Hellwe would have gotten rid of Obama years ago!!!

Trying to think, lets see Clinton admits to smoking weed, nobody says anything, obama admits to doing cocanie, nobody says anything, Sarah Palin wears and expensive outfit in an interview and the media goes nuts..........

Just saying, whats fair is fair, and say what you wish, but I don't think Congress drug tests would effect those you want it to effect!

B

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

That wouldn't be me by a longshot, so keep castin' away my friend /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

I seem to recall hearing that Dumbya was known to enjoy getting the nummies on occasion... at least Obama was man enough to come clean and admit his mistakes, whereas Dumbya never truly confessed. And Clinton, yeah but, he never exhaled... err, I mean inhaled - yeah, that's the ticket LOL.

Silly me, I guess spending $150 Grrr is a pretty typical shopping budget for the regular Joe Sixpacks of the world...in Six lifetimes perhaps...

Tina Fey looked rather hot playing the part of Palin, and I don't think SNL shelled out that kind of cash on her frocks to make it so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avidhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

That wouldn't be me by a longshot, so keep castin' away my friend /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

I seem to recall hearing that Dumbya was known to enjoy getting the nummies on occasion... at least Obama was man enough to come clean and admit his mistakes, whereas Dumbya never truly confessed. And Clinton, yeah but, he never exhaled... err, I mean inhaled - yeah, that's the ticket LOL.

Silly me, I guess spending $150 Grrr is a pretty typical shopping budget for the regular Joe Sixpacks of the world...in Six lifetimes perhaps...

Tina Fey looked rather hot playing the part of Palin, and I don't think SNL shelled out that kind of cash on her frocks to make it so.

</div></div>

I DO NOT appreciate how you refer to our current president!
i find it offensive and brash!

If you have an opinion on his governing abilities, maybe find a different way to express them!

AVID

Yup 150K on an outfit. Howe much do you think Obama is spending on his 30 mins of Network television!!!

Think, think!! ANd as far as your references to President Bush, they are simple accusations that you made up!!

it's like me saying I heard Avid hunter hunts Avidly over Bait... Just comes someone says it that doesn't make it true! But when you are the person and you admit it, then it is true!

So let me get this straight, he is a "man"cause he admitted using drugs!! In your terms, I see a lot of "men" standing out on the streets with joints in their hands and raggity clothes on!

Please use factual information when addressing our president, and anyone else for that matter!

And if you think dumbya is a cute name, you should hear some of the names I have for Obama, but I try not to use Playground name calling when having a discussion with someone! In most cases, it just makes you seem ignorant!

Top Bottom