Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got a good one in KS!

Bow Jangles

This is my first post on Iowa Whitetail, but I've been a member for a little while and a lurker for a couple of years. I love reading threads on this site, but just never really had anything all that great to contribute until now. This is undoubtedly the best and most informative hunting forum that I visit. Thank you guys for keeping all of the junk out of it! I hope that y'all enjoy the story and the pics.

After 24 years of hunting, my dream of taking a giant buck finally came true on Saturday. I'd like to thank my good friend and hunting buddy, Scott (KCCyclone), for all of his help this year (I couldn't have done it with out you bud!). We've spent countless hours scouting, shed hunting, hanging stands, running trail cams, and studying our land to get ready for deer season this year. It's Scott's turn next and I have every confidence in the world that he will take a huge buck in Kansas this November.

We both took off work early on Friday afternoon to drive down from Smithville to our 80 acre lease in Eastern Kansas. We arrived at the property around 3:00 and were in our stands by 3:30. I instantly had 2 does come by and about an hour later, this guy showed up. He responded to grunting and rattling, but wouldn't come closer than about 65 yards. I watched him return to the cedar thicket that he came from, and I assume that he must have bedded back down. I didn't see another deer until after dark when we were on our way to the motel.

I was back in the same stand on Saturday morning. I brought a buck decoy with me this time and set it up about 25 yards in front of me. Unfortunately, the CRP grass was too tall for it to be seen from a distance. At about 8:25 in the morning, after a grunting and rattling sequence, I caught movement in the cedar thicket about 90 yards out. This buck had gotten up from his bed and was raking a branch with his antlers. I grunted at him with my VECtor grunter and he looked my way then started raking the branches even harder. I rattled a little more and then grunted a few more times. He then postured up and started heading my way, looking very annoyed! I crossed my fingers that he would present me with an opportunity and I tried to stay as calm as possible. A few seconds later, he emerged from the cedars at 60 yards. He stepped out in the open, but couldn't see my decoy. He walked further into the CRP and stopped. I ranged him at 51 yards with my range finder. I grunted once more and he looked my way, but the grass was too tall for him to see the decoy. He layed his ears back, turned around and looked like he may head back into the thicket. I knew that this would be my only opportunity. If he stopped on his own, I was going to try to take him. Luckily, he took two steps and did just that. He was bristled up and mad and stopped to mark his territory my urinating on his tarsal glands.

I think I should mention that I ordinarily wouldn't take a 50 yard shot on a deer, although I practice it regularly and am very proficient with it. Circumstances were perfect in this situation though. He had no idea of my presence, was perfectly broadside, and was not at all spooked. I didn't think that he would jump the string when I shot, and he didn't. So, I quickly drew my bow, settled my 50 yard pin behind his shoulder and let her fly. My arrow sailed true and delivered a lethal double lung hit.

When Scott arrived at the base of my tree about 45 minutes later, we got down to search for blood. We found it quickly and had a fairly short and easy blood trail to follow. I was overcome with emotion when we finally arrived at the buck that I'd been after my entire life. It was a dream come true! I've been hunting deer with my dad since I was about 5 years old. I can still remember sitting in his lap in a tripod stand in Glynn County, GA before I was old enough to shoot a gun. My only regret was that he was not there to share the moment with me. Scott was a pretty good alternative though.

I've been waiting for a deer like this for a long time. I've spent countless hours afield and passed dozens of smaller bucks in hopes of one day taking a deer like this. My dream finally came true!

We rough scored him at 171 4/8 inches. His main beams measured 25 inches each, his inside spread was 22 inches, and his longest brow tine measured 9 inches. As luck would have it, Scott owned his shed antlers from last year. He gave them to me to display with the mount when I get it back from the taxidermist. Thanks again Scott!
I can't say enough about how blessed I feel. I have a great life. I moved to KS from GA in February 2008 because of the deer hunting. The passion runs that deep with me. I have since, met the woman of my dreams, gotten married, have become a father to her now 2 year old daughter, and have a little boy due to arrive in early February. To top it off, I have finally fulfilled one of my life's dreams and harvested the best buck of my life. I can't even express how grateful I am.
Thanks for reading my story. I hope that you enjoy the pictures!

Those are his sheds from last year in front of him
DSC02688.jpg

22 inch inside spread
DSC02691.jpg

Scott (KCCyclone) and I
DSC02696.jpg

DSC02698.jpg

With my custom "Thwack Attack" VECtor grunter (a gift from KCCyclone) Best grunter ever!
DSC02701.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

Congratulations a hundred times over!!!!
Great read and it sounds like you got it figured out!

Rock on!

Top Bottom