Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got a killer spot

kevpann

PMA Member
Headed to south west Iowa next week and I have a great spot for a stand. The problem is every time I hunt it I'm getting busted. I have hunted it with a heavy wind perfect for it and a light wind in the morning when thermals are rite and I'm still getting busted. The spot is half way down a bluff with two deep ravines above it that dump into a super deep ravine below it. Where the two meet the one there is a killer path. I'm pretty good about scent control,but don't feel like it in this spot. Any advice would be appreciated. Never tried nose jammer or soaking my clothes in smoke and I wont buy a ozonics.

It sounds like the wind will swirl no matter what direction it blows except maybe straight out of the bottom. If possible move to higher ground to achieve a constant wind.

Or maybe gettin busted by other than scent; maybe a flash off of a watch or eyeglasses. Even bare skin has gotten me busted in a hillside situation. Deer comin downhill get eye level and uphill may be skylining. Just possibilities

Sent from my iPhone using IW

It's def not getting spotted cause I've had them blowing in thick pines before they get to me. The trail is down wind and it isn't very often one shows up on down wind side. Then they don't get alarmed. Go figure

Hoosier that's what I'm thinking I'm gonna try not many good trees up higher maybe a ground blind built out of the dead stuff I can find in area.

Thats kind of strange. I hunt in some areas that have swirling wind issues and have never had problems being busted so consistantly. Yes, sometimes, and mainly by an older smarter doe. Makes me think that there may be more to it. Or the whitetails in your area are just super sensitive. What kind of scent control or products are you using? Also, how do you store your gear? If your spot is close to pines, then I would store my gear in a large rubbermaid tub with some pine branches in there with it. Or at least some leaves. Your clothes will really take up the smell. I have great success with this. You will want to change out the leaves or whatever after a couple weeks or so or it will become kind of musty smelling in the tub. Especially it there is any moisture in there from or stuff. Other than that, I dont know what else to tell ya. You hate to move to a lesser spot, but if things dont work out, then you really have no choice. Best of luck, anyhow!

In my opinion, it isn't a perfect spot if that seems to be happening. I would find one of the major trails that leads to this feature and set up there.

Where do you hunt at Kev?? I just came back from there, and I have a few spots down there that at the same...

Man, I would say that if there are deer above and below you.. it's no wonder your getting busted. I would move the stand to higher ground in the morning and lower ground in the evening.

It would be helpful if you could post a diagram of your setup. Maybe there is something I'm missing.

It's not very often a deer gets behind. I'm gonna try moving up bluff a little or see if I can find a spot to the side that's near the trail where the brush isn't to thick.

Top Bottom