Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got a surprise tonight.

77crew

Went out for an afternoon sit,had a good night, saw some chasing. Got back to my truck only to find a business card for iowa ridge outfitters under my wiper blade with the following note written on the back. Call me after dark just leased this land and will be hunting it tomorow. You have 24 hours to get your stuff off the farm. Talk about a kick in the nuts! After spending all year scouting, hanging stands, running trail cams,scheduling vacation time for the next 2 weeks,and not to mention this is the only place i have to hunt, my season just ended. It sure would have been nice if the landowner would have said something in the multiple times i asked him about what he wanted this year,seeing as we have leased this land for ten years! Anyway hope everyone has a great rut, mine is gonna suck now.
SAVE A LITTLE BUCK, KILL AN OUTFITTER!

same thing happened to me except , i had a week to get my stuff off the farm. thing is we hunted this farm for four years . they drove up and down the road glassing for bucks. we had 200" , 180" several 160" bucks . with beans and spot scope thier easy to see. Im hunting in a farm junk yard , the deer are there! already saw a 160" 8pt. several 140`s so things are looking up! hang in there bud !

That sucks,:mad: make sure when you take your stands down your extra quiet so you dont so you dont spook any deer!! :rolleyes: Maybe take your dog along if you have one to protect you from bears or wolves or something.:way:

That sucks,:mad: make sure when you take your stands down your extra quiet so you dont so you dont spook any deer!! :rolleyes: Maybe take your dog along if you have one to protect you from bears or wolves or something.:way:
Yeah thinking about a industrial size can of wd 40 in the sprayer on the four wheeler.

Remember that when you go vote next week one of the canidates wants to raise the number of NR tags to promote small buisness's like your new outfitting buddy

Throw a few moth balls around while your getting out your stands!!!!!!!
You don't want any bugs eating on their cushions DO YOU!!!!!!!!

just because hes an asshat for leasin it out from under you, id mothball the shit outta that place when i got all my stuff out! f that guy

I hope you know that this reallllly stinks, but you yourself said that you "leased" the land. That has been my whole point all along compared to "the good ol days" of building relationships with people where the "bottom line" was old farmers and good people. If you can "lease" the land, so can someone else if they have more money.

Invite all your friends to help you get your stands. Walk the whole place making as much noise, and leave as much scent as you can.

I agree, this sucks for you, but you can learn from this.

I experienced what you are going through. My advise is to buy some property. If you're not wealthy enough to purchase on your own, then collaborate with friends or relatives. The joy of ownership makes managing property so much more fun, especially when done with those you care about. If you own it, no one can lease it out from under you.

That really blows. Do you get your lease money back? I'd have a few kind words to say to the farmer...:thrwrck:

I hope you know that this reallllly stinks, but you yourself said that you "leased" the land. That has been my whole point all along compared to "the good ol days" of building relationships with people where the "bottom line" was old farmers and good people. If you can "lease" the land, so can someone else if they have more money.
When i say we leased it, it has always just been a handshake and some deer meat. The actual landowner just wanted to say it was leased so he wouldnt have to deal with all the guys wanting to hunt there. Last year the owner leased the farm ground to someone else to farm and the tenant told us then he wanted cash. After multiple times talking to the tenant this year he never said anything about money.The thing that really gets to me is this guy didn't even have the sack to come right out and tell us!Instead he let the outfitter move in during the season. I'm gonna try to get a hold of the owner today and tell him whats going on,see if he knows anything about this.

Last edited:
I might be wrong here but I am not sure if the tenent just leases the farm rights,I don't think he has the authority to lease the hunting rights.
But on another note...I have lost a lot of hunting land in the last few years and now spend a lot of time on public land.It has been some great hunting so far this season.I have seen just as many deer and probably a lot of bigger bucks than I ever had on those private pieces I lost.I also haven't seen another hunter on the public land I have hunted.Not to say that that won't change when the rut is going strong but I am a happy hunter right now.

That really sucks man. It sucks even worse if they really were glassing the field trying to see if there was big bucks in there, then trying to lease it. I wouldn't be too quiet getting my stands either. 24 hours is pretty harsh. If gas was cheap I would spray it all over and then find a barber shop and get a bunch of his leftover hair. Spread it around where you think he would hang stands. Jerks

The ALL-MIGHTY dollar wins again. This is just the beginning of the end for another era in Iowa deer hunting. Don't think for a minute that it can't happen to you if you don't own your own hunting ground. Everybody wants to get into the quick money that can be made out of Iowa's deer herd.

I might be wrong here but I am not sure if the tenent just leases the farm rights,I don't think he has the authority to lease the hunting rights.
But on another note...I have lost a lot of hunting land in the last few years and now spend a lot of time on public land.It has been some great hunting so far this season.I have seen just as many deer and probably a lot of bigger bucks than I ever had on those private pieces I lost.I also haven't seen another hunter on the public land I have hunted.Not to say that that won't change when the rut is going strong but I am a happy hunter right now.

Iowa land laws say that once a tenant leases land for farming, everything comes with it, including hunting rights unless stated otherwise in contract. If I cash rented farm ground, not owning any land at all, and I showed a profit off of that ground, I by law have the right to a landowners/tenant tag.

Yes nannyslayer you would have the rights to a landowner/tenent tag but you wouldn't have the right to lease the land to someone else for other reasons without the consent of the landowner.Now if your contract says you also have hunting rights to the land that would be a different story.

Top Bottom