Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got Apples in January?

Waukon1

I am fortuneate enough to have about 4 trees every year that still hold apples into the end of January. The deer and turkey have a good system. Turkeys knock them down, deer eat them.

apple1.JPG

Bearded hen?
apple2.JPG

apple3.JPG

apple4.JPG

I've got one of those apple trees, too. Only problem is I don't have the turkeys.

The deer visit on a regular basis looking for windfalls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got one of those apple trees, too. Only problem is I don't have the turkeys.

The deer visit on a regular basis looking for windfalls. </div></div>

What type of apple trees are we looking at guys?

BTW - Nice pictures. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The deer visit on a regular basis looking for windfalls. What type of apple trees are we looking at guys?

BTW - Nice pictures. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

good question cause I think I want an exact copy of that tree.

I'll have to look at the map of the orchard to try to figure out what variety it is. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif One thing I know, I'm not impressed with eating the variety and I'm considering getting out the chainsaw.

I don't know what kind they are either.

But they are doing their job, 230 pics under this tree in 2 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Waukon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know what kind they are either.

But they are doing their job, 230 pics under this tree in 2 weeks. </div></div>

that works as good as a bucket of corn with far less hassles once the apple tree matures. I cannot wait for mine to be draws like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: letemgrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you ship me some seeds from those puppies??? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

Who's the grafting expert? That would be even better then seeds I would think.

Awesome pics and another reason to consider trees that hold apples late into the year! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: letemgrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you ship me some seeds from those puppies??? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

Who's the grafting expert? That would be even better then seeds I would think.

Awesome pics and another reason to consider trees that hold apples late into the year! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

grafting would be my first choice, but I have not a clue how to do it so seeds are my next best option.

it seems simple enough from the pics, but I have never "gave it a go" yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it seems simple enough from the pics, but I have never "gave it a go" yet </div></div>

I think it's time you started a new hobby! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

(and then send me some "baby trees"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: letemgrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

grafting would be my first choice, but I have not a clue how to do it so seeds are my next best option.
</div></div>

Well, get your grafting knife sharpened up.

I looked at the map of our apple trees and the one I have that is still holding apples is a Winesap. Looking on the internet to see if I could find anything about the variety (as far as holding fruit late into winter) I saw that it is a triploid tree. Therefore, I wonder if the seeds are viable. It might only exist due to grafting.

Not saying that all Winesap trees hold their apples through the winter, but ours always has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, get your grafting knife sharpened up.
</div></div>

are we going to have class...teacher?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, get your grafting knife sharpened up.
</div></div>

are we going to have class...teacher?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
</div></div>

I could........

but my success rate has been extremely poor.

I've only ever had four grafts be successful (out of maybe 40?). The deer killed one of them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I had some rootstock planted in place figuring I'd get around to grafting into it, then I wrapped a chain around them and pulled them with the tractor bucket figuring it was never going to happen.

Most people would recommend that now is the time to be gathering bud stock. Go to the tree, cut off the tips of the branches of the tree you want to propagate. Wrap the cut end with damp sphagnum moss, cover the moss with a plastic bag, store it in the refrigerator. Then, when the sap starts flowing in late March or early April, take the budstock out to the tree and graft it in.

Chug Wilson of Wilson's apple orchard north of IC said he tried August grafting on a whim and had close to 90% success. I learned of this after my failed spring grafting attempts and never tried it. For this technique, you cut the bud material the same day as you graft, so you don't have to worry about the storage issues.

Dbltree and letemgrow, I can show you how to graft.
Get any of the fresh growth off a tree like that and I'll help you from there. I could maybe work on some pictures down the road on grafting.

*Were you serious about chainsawing that tree?!?!?!? Ahh, don't tell me that!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Gotta keep that tree- plant another variety you like!! I hope you were kidding!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dbltree and letemgrow, I can show you how to graft.
Get any of the fresh growth off a tree like that and I'll help you from there. I could maybe work on some pictures down the road on grafting.

*Were you serious about chainsawing that tree?!?!?!? Ahh, don't tell me that!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Gotta keep that tree- plant another variety you like!! I hope you were kidding!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Pics and a timeframe on the best grafting success would be a great help to me. It does not seem too difficult, but I am sure there are little things to pay attention too for better success.
Thanks Skip!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can show you how to graft. </div></div>

What do you use/where do you get rootstock?

I suppose order it somewhere?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: letemgrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Well, get your grafting knife sharpened up.

I looked at the map of our apple trees and the one I have that is still holding apples is a Winesap. Looking on the internet to see if I could find anything about the variety (as far as holding fruit late into winter) I saw that it is a triploid tree. Therefore, I wonder if the seeds are viable. It might only exist due to grafting.

Not saying that all Winesap trees hold their apples through the winter, but ours always has. </div></div>

I think I bought a winesap from century farms I will have to go check it out and see what all I bought. I saved the tags and put them on the stakes with each tree so hopefully in a few years they will produce and I can see which varieties work the best for my situation.

Top Bottom