Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got Apples in January?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can show you how to graft. </div></div>

What do you use/where do you get rootstock?

I suppose order it somewhere? </div></div>

yep you can order them in bundles from some nurseries...I believe ACN and Cummins sell them.

Ok, I went to the orchard today. There were three tree varieties still holding apples. They were Gold Rush, Winesap and Granny Smith. They are all late maturing apples. My guess is that the ethylene content of the fruit did not get high enough (fruit didn't ripen fully) to trigger the release of abscisic acid which causes the branch and the stem to separate.

Take home message: plant late maturing varieties of apples that might NOT be recommended for your area so that the fruit doesn't reach full maturity and thus hangs on into the winter.

I picked some of the apples to throw to the horses. The apples had been freeze drying on the tree, leaving the sugar behind. They were all sticky and the horses were gobbling them up like candy. I grabbed hold of some branches and shook the trees so the apples would drop. There will be a few deer with belly aches tomorrow morning. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

that's good to know what varieties are still holding this late. I am looking forward to all the goldrush I ordered now /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Here's what I ordered for this spring...
4 Gold Rush,
3 Florina (Querina),
4 Yates
7 Kieffer pear
4 Keener Seedling
3 old fashion Limbertwig
Royal Limbertwig 3
Kinnaird's Choice 2
Magness 2
Olympic Pear 8
Pink Lady 4

I also have tons of Granny Smiths, Braeburns, etc, etc, etc. that have been planted for 3-4 years.

Hopefully some of these keep late!!! If I have a few trees that do what yours did, I will be a happy camper!!!

***What's a later variety than Goldrush??? I know Hardy Cumberland, Granny Smith, Pink Lady and maybe a couple others are about as late as you can get for RIPENING. Now, hanging on might be different. What's some other varieties you suggest??? Thanks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">letemgrow,
How far south are you? You might need a later variety. </div></div>

right by the IA line...about 2 miles away from Wayne County.

Some late variety suggestions can be found at: http://www.raintreenursery.com/pollin_apples.html

The orchard, pre and post shaking the tree. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

preshake.JPG

apples.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that's a lot of apples still holding!

What varieties are those? </div></div>

Granny Smith in front, the big tree in back with all the apples under it is a Winesap.

Negatory on the trailcam, Risto. I don't want to burn a set of batteries getting pics of a bazillion does and rabbits. Plus, I need more trailcams. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Granny Smith in front, the big tree in back with all the apples under it is a Winesap.
</div></div>

OK, I thought Granny Smith's were green though, that is why I was curious. (I am not much an apple expert. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif)

Would you say one variety was more likely to hold on than the others? Winesap v. Granny v. "fill in the blank".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> OK, I thought Granny Smith's were green though, that is why I was curious. (I am not much an apple expert. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif)

Would you say one variety was more likely to hold on than the others? Winesap v. Granny v. "fill in the blank". </div></div>

This time of year, all apples look the same bleck color. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Traditionally my Winesap has been better at holding more apples longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Granny Smith in front, the big tree in back with all the apples under it is a Winesap.
</div></div>

OK, I thought Granny Smith's were green though, that is why I was curious. (I am not much an apple expert. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif)

Would you say one variety was more likely to hold on than the others? Winesap v. Granny v. "fill in the blank". </div></div>

Here's a list of apple trees in ripening order (I only added those from Oct 1st on)

Querina is another one noted for holding apples very late and we're trying some of those this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Fortune (NY 429) - October 1
Freedom - October 1
Hampshire Mac - October 1
Shizuka - October 4

Idared - October 4

Melrose - October 4
Autumn Gala - October 4
Northern Spy - October 6
Lady - October 6
Smokehouse - October 6
Cameo - October 10
Nova Spy - October 10

Red Rome Beauty (Law Strain) - October 12
Nittany - October 12
Querina - October 12

Albemarle Pippen - October 13
Mutsu - October 14
Suncrisp - October 16
Snapp Stayman - October 20
Red Yorking - October 20
Red Winesap - October 24
Enterprise - October 24
Taylor Spur Rome - October 26
Kumeu Crimson Braeburn - November 1
Arkansas Black - November 3
Autumn Rose Fuji - November 4
Granny Smith - November 8
Goldrush - November 10
Pink Lady® brand Cripps Pink Variety - November 14
Hardy Cumberland - November 15

</div></div>

I have a Granny Smith tree that still has a few apples hanging. The deer come up nightly to see if any have fallen. In the early fall the deer will leave wind fall Granny Smith apples uneaten and gobble up the other two unknown varieties.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom