Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got busted by a bruiser last night. Will he be back?

shooter42

Looking for some opinions here guys. Last night I headed to a farm that I have not hunted the last couple years. I wanted to get a trail cam put on the farm so I figured I would go last night and hunt what I thought was a pretty conservative stand along a fence line. About 6:15 PM a big slob came out and stopped behind a branch at about 15 yards quartering to me. He stood there for a couple minutes analyzing the situation. He took his next step away from me so he was slightly quartering away. That is when I pulled my bow back and my arm sleeve scraped a branch. He quickly stopped, looked towards me and bolted. I know he did not catch any of my wind. I was up in a knotty oak tree so I dont believe he could pick me out. But it is possible he saw movement. It happened really fast.

How bad do you think he busted me? Do you think he's gone? What would you do? The soonest I could possibly get out again is Wednesday PM depending on harvest.

Until the crop is out on this farm I am very limited to the trees I can hang a stand in because the timber is surrounded by corn.

What a rush. Thats the biggest deer I have ever had an encounter with. Thanks for any advice.

Agree. Couple days and he’ll settle down. If he saw u or got hit by arrow. Saw u & blew at u- different. What u described..... not bad. He’ll be back.

I would move trees but stay in that vicinity. Have seen those big boys look right back at a tree they were disturbed out of in the past but he isn’t leaving the area with what you described

A few years ago I had the same thing happen, so I moved down the trail about seventy yards, a week to the day and time he came down the trail again and stopped looked up the same tree I used to be in. Seen I wasn't there and continued on , needless to say I arrowed him as he came by. Good luck with him.

A few years ago I had the same thing happen, so I moved down the trail about seventy yards, a week to the day and time he came down the trail again and stopped looked up the same tree I used to be in. Seen I wasn't there and continued on , needless to say I arrowed him as he came by. Good luck with him.

This...I have had similar experiences with does too. I learned the hard way, when a doe(s) find you, they will congregate and watch the general vicinity in the future. I am a creature of habit and I like having the same, nice and comfy tree stands sets every year. I've learned the more I mix it up the better the results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom