Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got it done on November 3rd!

deerhunter93

I had been looking forward to the weekend of November 3rd and 4th for the past month. After looking at my college cross-country schedule, Dad and I decided that this would be the weekend we would hunt together.

Friday November 2nd I headed home anxious for the weekends events. It was a late night getting everything packed up and discussing the mornings plans. The alarm went off at 4:00 am and we were on the road by 4:45 am, heading an hour south to my favorite property. I just felt like it was going to be a good day, it was cool, super calm, and I was heading to the spot where I have killed four of my five bucks.

We met my dad’s buddy down there and set off on our 30-minute walk to the stand, packing everything in with us. The plan was to hang the set in “the top stand” but we opted for a tree 15 yards away better suited for filming. By the time we got all set up it was nearing shooting light and the anticipation was high. The first 40 minutes went by without much going on but right around 8:00 am I heard something walking and here came three does running out of the bottom with a little buck behind them. They milled around for a while after the buck checked to see if any were in heat. Then around 8:50 am I heard one running. I grabbed my binoculars and saw a doe running pretty hard. Soon after she came out of the bottom a buck followed on her trail. I put my binoculars on him and I quickly decided he was a shooter even though I couldn’t see through them clearly because I was shaking so badly! They were about 70 yards away when she turned and started heading our direction. I have hunted this spot many times and knew she was taking a trail that would lead her about 25 yards from the stand.

She followed the script perfectly and checked out a little scrape right in front of us but it was pretty thick that way. I knew the buck was likely to follow so I got positioned and watched him turn to us. He followed her right in and bumped her off the scrape but she turned and went back the way she came from, dang! I figured he was going to turn around and follow her away but after he hit the scrape he preceded the trail. At 30 yards I stopped him and let her rip. Right away I could see blood coming out and I knew the shot was good. We watched him run out of sight but thought we heard him go down. I was so pumped! Last year was the first season since I started hunting when I was nine that I didn’t shoot a deer so I was thrilled!

After celebrating for a little bit we had a smaller crab claw 8 chased that doe back in. He followed her on the exact same trail as my buck. Then dad got my attention and told me there was another deer coming from behind us. A giant 150 class 8 point came up over the ridge and put on one of the coolest things I’ve seen in the woods. He started making a scrape and raking trees then proceeded to walk towards the smaller buck. When he got closer he bristled up and his hind end started sinking towards the ground and the whites of his eyes became much more visible. Not only did his antlers look big but his body looked HUGE! He hung around for a little bit and followed the doe over the ridge. I was freaking out at what we just saw. Things happen like they are supposed to and I am super pumped about my buck. And chances are, if I wouldn’t have shot my buck, we might never have seen the big 8.

Overall it was one of the most fun hunts I have been on! It was five years to the day after I shot my first buck with a bow, from a tree only 15 yards away. I looked forward to this hunt with my dad for quite some time because we don’t get to hunt together near as much now that I am in college. I grew up hunting with him and my brother and I try to make the most out of any hunt I get to share with them. I enjoy hunting no matter what but sharing a tree with my dad or brother makes things ten times better. It was also our first buck kill on film so that was a whole new experience. I know we didn’t do everything right but it was exciting none the less.

file-17.jpg

file-20.jpg

file-70.jpg

file-77.jpg

file-84.jpg

file-106.jpg

Getting to hunt with my dad and brother are the best hunts I get to do. Whether we shoot anything or not, they are just way more fun. Really not looking forward to the day my dad stops going out. Gonna be a sad season.

Great buck and congrats!

Top Bottom