Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got my first bobcat!

Old Buck

Life Member
With all the time I spend outdoors I figured it would happen sooner or later. I finally shot my first bobcat!
laugh.gif

I was trying to harvest some more does but they were staying back in the woods snorting on and on. I had good scent control and the wind wasn't blowing that way anyway so I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Finally, as I was watching a nearby fawn, I spotted something in my peripheral vision. My first reaction was that it was a stray cat but at 15 yards it became obvious it was a small bobcat. Fortunately I had my trusty video camera handy and started shooting footage. I probably got 30-45 seconds of this cat hunting before he finally moved out of sight. Really cool stuff.

Even though it was only the size of a house cat all the deer in the area cleared out.

That is one of the things I love about bowhunting. You never know what you are going to see next!
grin.gif

I've also had a lot of fun with friends who know I'm a stickler for following game laws. I tell them I shot a bobcat. "They say you can't do that!" I say, "Yes I can - if I use a video camera!"
grin.gif
With hind sight I just wish I'd have thought of trying to 'squeak' him back for more footage before he left the area.

Now I have to add 'Bobcat painting' to my job list for this year!
grin.gif

Good hunting!
Old Buck

I was able to "shoot" one this year as well with my video cam. The bobcat was following a buck that was coming to a grunt. The buck spooked and that is when I saw the cat. I squeaked at him a few times and the young cat came right in. Got some nice video. About an hour later he came back by and walked right under the tree again. I have been seeing more bobcat sign and less turkey sign. Wandering if they aren't going to need some population control in the future.

Larry you could start a pedator series or new species series. Call it "The Changing Landscape Series". Mountain lions, otters, bobcats, reintroducted wildlife that may not get the attention game species have. You may expand your market to folks that haven't already bought from you. I am just full of.... great ideas.
grin.gif

I am glad you got to see one Larry. They are really cool to watch IMO. I have seen three of them this year, there has to be a fair number of them around here in SW Iowa I think.
smile.gif

Bet that was exciting!

Wonder what effect they are starting to have on our turkey population? It seems my area is holding more Bobcats and less turkeys.
confused.gif

Would make a great painting. Bobcat stalking a turkey ready for the pounce.

That's awesome Old Buck! Some trapping buddies of mine caught a big male in a head gripping trap this year, too bad, I like seeing them around. A banker I know was bow hunting and luckily had his digital camera along. He watched a young bobcat sneak by on a deer run and later return with a squirrel in his mouth! Mother Nature, the greatest show on earth!!!!!

i seen my first one this moring in my area. i was bow hunting before school trying to get a few does and this lil 5point came in fast and kept looking be hind him and that when seen it i didnt have the camera wiht me. but they are awsome. he was a fairly good siz. bought 2 house cats in weight.....

I was lucky enough to see one last season but only for a couple of seconds. I would love to be able to watch one that didn't know I was around.

I saw one again. This time right by my trailer at mid-day. Really cool.

Yesterday I had two bald eagles working on a doe gut pile. One was juvenile and the other an adult. They really look big when up close.

That is one of the things I love about the outdoors. You never know what you will see next! Get out there and have some fun.
grin.gif

Old Buck

Top Bottom