Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got Rye? (seed)

Fishbonker

Life Member
Called a local seed place yesterday for some winter rye seed. They didn't have any on hand but they thought they could get it for me by that afternoon. I called back and their supplier can't get any more. I called another local feed place and they had two bags left and said they were having a hard time getting it. I called my wife who promptly drove to town to pick it up. Price was still cheap at 16/bag (56lbs).

Anybody else heard of a shortage of rye grain seed?

Funny you say that I just picked some up from my guy 10 minutes ago he had 4 bags left said that was the last he could get floods in the dakotas and a demand for it has caused a shortage

I would be curious to know if the apparent rye shortage is in any way connected to predominantly Dbltree popularizing the use of rye for food plots in the past few years.

It's not in shortage right at the moment, it is being harvested. Our supplier is getting 14 semi loads in either today or monday.

There were alot of acres cut do to wet weather and flooding, but still a good supply of it will hit the warehouse floors in the next few weeks. All the rye that you guys planted this year was grown, harvested, cleaned and bagged last year.

I get my winter rye from Des Moines Forage Turf (who is now a sponsor of this site) in Ankeny. Doug has always had it on hand. He told me that the price of corn is causing the price or rye to go up (50-60% increase from last year)

I work for an ag retailer in SD, and we are definatly having trouble getting a hold of rye at a decent price. A lot of areas that were too wet to plant this spring have dried up, and the farmers want something besides weeds in there next spring.

I just picked some up at Big Country Seeds right off I-80 near Tiffin, IA. $15 for 50# bags. They said they had a good supply on hand.

Top Bottom