Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gravity wagon blind- Just Getting Started

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
I just picked up a gravity wagon off craigslist and have about 2 hours into it so far. I am still scratching out the design, but hope to have it complete before late muzzleloader starts. My motivation is that I wanted something I could pull out into cut corn fields after harvest and move around as necessary. I'll let you know how this turns out.​
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

What size of wagon is that (bushels)? Remember if it gets too tall, better put outriggers on it for wind.

Detailed pics of the process would be awesome, if you don't mind!

Last edited:
Just load the bottom half with corn and give the handle a quick turn every time you climb in. Easiest bait station ever! ;) Looks like a fun build! Should put a propane tank in the "basement" so you can have heat up top!

I think you will have a killer setup when you are finished, good luck. There have been a few good threads on this subject(converting grain wagons to mobile blinds) over the years on IW. If you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to search for them and glean from them too prior to getting too far down the trail.

In particular, there has been some good info shared on keeping a finished blind from tipping over that I think is very key. :D

It is the smallest of the wagons you see around. It measures 6'x10' at the very top. I don't really want a 10' long blind, but making it smaller is not an option as making it weatherproof is more important.

The bottom of the door is where I cut the steel out with a cut-off wheel (above the grain door). The other half of the door will be built into the blind above.

I might fill the bottom with concrete to lower the center of gravity. I really don't want to go with outriggers if at all possible.

Glad to post pics as I go.

Running to lumberyard shortly.

Wonder what it would weigh with the concrete. I'm guessing it's about a 200 bushel then. Seems like a good size. I agree a 10' long blind is pretty big, making you possibly move around to see or shoot out the other side a lot. May be a good idea to sound proof the floor.

Couple post on iowa sportsman of wagon blinds. I don't know about the concrete, but those wagons can be top heavy. I've seen a few with simple poles they extend from each corner to stabilize the box or others have a jack type system they use so they don't move around so easy if you shift to one side to the other or move around inside the blind. I'd plan on making something to stabilize it and you can always make it a little better this summer.

... Should put a propane tank in the "basement" so you can have heat up top!

That's a good idea, perhaps fill up some of the "basement" with rocks or cement for ballast, but leave an opening/trap door for underfloor storage, or with propane, better yet, exterior storage.

Dang...I might have to start looking for an old grain wagon for my own build out...:D

Pull the box off and build a blind/shelter on the running gear. Lower center of gravity. Just a thought. Nice work

Came in for lunch after about 4 1/2 hours of work. I think I got a lot done. :)

Bottom plate- Treated 2x4- ram-set to steel at top of wagon

picture.php

I didn't buy siding so I had to stop for the day. I wasn't sure if I was going to go with steel or plywood, but I decided to go with plywood as it will be easier to deal with doors and windows without trimming everything out like I would have to with steel.

Last window framed in
picture.php

Top Bottom