Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gray fox

Wildturkey 2

Anyone seeing any gray fox I haven’t seen any for I can’t remember DNR are looking for reports of seeing any or any that have be trapped they just want Data. They also will pay $400 for any that are trapped alive

I haven't seen them while hunting in Iowa, but I've seen them quite a few times here in Michigan. From what I witnessed, they always seemed to travel in pairs, possibly mating pairs. I also noticed that when they traveled, they were quite vocal always calling back and forth to each other. And yes, they can climb trees. I was hunting one evening, and had a neighbor make a loud noise with something just as one of the gray foxes was walking by my tree stand. It startled and ran halfway up the tree I was in. Cool to see.

I’ve seen two in IA. One was right below me in a county park hunt. The other from the truck. Both around 15 years ago. None since. Old timer told me he made a small fortune calling them when fur was at its high in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Said they were everywhere and easy to call. I called one in for my son on a TX hunt it’s a gorgeous mount.

I found one dead on the road in central Iowa 6 or 7 years ago. It was wide open ground, I always thought they preferred brushy habitat. I have it tanned and on my wall.

I caught a nice male by accident in a 220 conibear on a coon trail in Dubuque co 30 years ago had him mounted. Ten years later i saw a gray cross the road within a 100 yds of the catch. That's the last sighting I've had around here since. Had an old neighbor when i was a young grass hopper that trapped alot in his younger years he said the fox would alternate every decade 20's all reds, 1930's mostly grays, 40's reds then the late 60's came the coyote then no fox

It’s been 10+ years since I’ve seen any in my area- not that I’m actively looking though. I trapped a den of them and relocated from under my CEOs deck. At the time I was young and dumb- pry relocated them in a terrible area and I’m sure they were killed by yotes as I never saw them again

Haven't seen any in over 25 years, they used to have a den close to one of my stands, loved watching them. This is in PA, my nephew lives in a mountain valley and he sees them often, caught one so far this year.

Resized_20231212_143455.jpeg

Haven't seen any in over 25 years, they used to have a den close to one of my stands, loved watching them. This is in PA, my nephew lives in a mountain valley and he sees them often, caught one so far this year.

View attachment 126606
Just talked to a Iowa wildlife biologist he said gray Fox almost gone due to the fur market what it is a more spreading of distemper and gray fox are real susceptible to distemper.

I had a gray on on trail cam several times about 8 years ago now, as did a neighbor. I never saw it though, but the pics were clear, it was a gray. Heard of a roadkill south of Douds, IA, in about that same time frame. I think any place where a gray might be and coyote comes along...bye, bye gray. Below is a night pic, I had day time, color pics too, but I can't put my hands on them. Drats!

Attachments

• IMAG0415.JPG
    IMAG0415.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 33
The theory there is lot more critters running around because of no trapping & less hunting so better chance for the fox to catch distemper lots higher
Just based on the consensus of comments here the grays were gone WELL before the fur market fell apart 4 -5 years ago!! I’ve been less than impressed with the answers provided by state biologists and this comment further supports that feeling.

Just based on the consensus of comments here the grays were gone WELL before the fur market fell apart 4 -5 years ago!! I’ve been less than impressed with the answers provided by state biologists and this comment further supports that feeling.
Well who has the best answers ?

The only place I've ever seen them was around Ledges State Park in Boone County. It's probably been 6-8 years since I've seen 1.

Top Bottom