Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great Day is an understatement

OK ...for those that want the story

I watched this buck chase a doe from 3/4 of a mile away. She turned towards our farm and I figured after patterning the does all summer and fall that she would cross at a certain point on our farm. I ran as fast as I could to get in an ambush spot which was a big top of a tree that had been logged. after about 5 minutes she came right to spot I figured she would but she did not come into the woods where I planned on. She stopped right on the other side of the tree tops, got a little skittesh and moved down the field edge to my right. The wind was in my favor (crosswind).

The big buck was out of site and was not on her tail, which was good, if he was I would never have gotten a shot. So I moved about 10 more yards in the direction she headed so that I could get a shot into the field where she just walked. All the while I was panicking that he was gonna show up while I was monkeying round getting set.

She laid her sent trail down only 10 yards from my new position so I was excited thinking that he will be coming over the crest of the hill any minute. Nothing....for about 10-15 minutes.

I was wondering what happened when all of a sudden I can hear him coming. I cant see him. But I knew he was close, his foot falls were enough to hear over the 25mile an hr winds. I drew back and held on the spot I where I thought he would stop when he would merge from behind the tree top. as soon as he did I would blat.

Well....He trotted into view 10 yards, slightly up hill from me!!!! but at that point the 1000 arrows this summer kicked in and to be honest I never looked at the deer just the hair across his heart (I missed that BTW) but got a clean passthrough of both lungs. He bolted back over the hill and I heard him pile up or so I thought. Actually what happened is, he went through a Barbed wire fence and ripped out 20 feet which was still stuck in his horns when I found him.

The buck is a buck of a life time and the hunt was a split second decision to set up an ambush that resulted in one of the most amazing blessings of my life. I got on my knees multiple time and gave thanks to God for this magnificent creature and the opportunity to experience the hunt and the harvest.

Thanks for asking.
N9BOW

Yes Sir! Wow that is Awesome! Dream buck right there and then to do it w/ a recurve makes it that much sweeter.

Congrats and make sure you take that dandy to a great taxidermist

Great job

Good god I just about spilled my coffee when that picture opened up....that buck is insane! It might not be the highest scoring buck on the forum so far but I think it's got the highest "gagger" factor! Holy crap. Congrats man!

And to do it ON THE GROUND...and with a long bow! Simply Awesome.

WOW! That is exactly what I think of when I picture my dream buck. He has it all. Unbelievable! Congrats on a true trophy of a lifetime!

Double drops...all that mass...WOW!!!

The beauty of whitetails and mother nature is that no 2 specimens are ever the same...and what you brought down with your longbow ranks as one of Mother Nature's best looking pieces of artwork i've ever seen.

Again, congrats on a truly beautiful buck!!!

Incredible buck..great story ...nice pics.
Thanks for sharing and congrats Eric!
Iowa has been good so far,huh.

What an awesome buck.. Love the mass. Any chance this buck came from around HWY 3 in Butler County? I kicked up a similar deer a couple years ago, pheasant hunting up in that area.

Great Buck, Looks like a Dessert Fox in your hand, got one too, hope your success brings me a little luck

Top Bottom