Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great news!!

turkeyriver

PMA Member
Talked to my neighbor this morning and he asked if I have been seeing many yotes lately. I told him I hadn't and was surprised since I had been hearing them all year. He informed me that he had started trapping them this year since shooting them was tough. Up here in the hills it just doesn't work very well to surround a section and rifle them. Anyway, he has caught 25 as of this morning and another guy about 3 miles away has caught 30! Bet the turkeys will be thicker this spring!!:way:

Whoa! That's impressive for just starting to trap them! I agree... what is his method? We have got one on snares so far, only ran them a couple nights but it's a start! I feel like if a guy had some solid snare spots he could really clean house on them like your friend mentioned.

WOW!!!!!!! But ya gotta remember that in Clayton County the residents can't tell the difference between a 'yote, a 'possum a 'coon and a cat so who knows what they actually trapped.

I would be more interested in learning how to trap coyote hunting dogs. Don't mind the yotes as i like to hunt them but dogs that should not be on our land is a different story. How many dogs does a guy got to kill before people get the point?

coyote hunting dogs.
They releasing them onto your land? We've had that problem before. Frustrating, but from what info we gathered it was legal and is depends on the county attorney if it was deemed trespassing... we ended up talking to the people who were doing the running and we haven't seen them since thankfully. It'd be ok if they'd at least shoot the coyotes, but these guys just liked to let their dogs run the coyotes around and they never shot any... :thrwrck:

Good to hear Daryl :way: Hopefully you'll have a good spring. Guys have been having success calling the last couple of weeks. You should give it a try. :way:

Liv4Rut - why shoot a mans dog. You got a problem with hunting dogs on your ground then confront the owner. I went to jail last year for beating the piss out of a guy who shot 2 of my running hounds. He shot them just because he didn't want them on his land. He didn't have livestock and they were just running the yote through his land so he shot them. He also went to jail for shooting them for no reason. Its not the dogs fault the coyote ran on your land. They are just doing as they are trained and what they love. If your a man you would confront the owner not just shoot a dog for doing something it loves and is trained to do. That is a coward in my book. We don't run dogs during deer season, Oct, Nov, Dec. That way we try not to piss of the deer hunters as we hunt deer 2. And if your hunting this antlerless season bullsnot then oh well sorry for ruining your hunt. Does are a dime a dozen and you shouldn't have trouble filling your tag anyway. I agree that if it is your land and you don't want dogs or people on there then they shouldn't be. But sh*t happens and you want to kill a dog?? Be a man and go settle it with the owners.

Oh and you might wanna be careful about shooting a mans dog, you could wake up one morning with every animal on your farm with a bullet in it. I don't do things that way but I know of many people that would. I don't agree with it because its not the animals fault but I know many guys are the eye for and eye type. P.S. where do you live so I can make sure to NEVER run in your area

Bonnett35- I see both sides. The groups that coyote hunts in my area do a good job of only running on ground they are allowed and catching them before they cross into where they are not, has'nt always been that way, but anyone running dogs needs to know where they are not wanted. I would not shoot a dog that accidentally got thru, but there are plenty of "eye for an eye" guys that dont care, so that is the only option. A much worse problem is the people that have 2 or more farm dogs and let them run all over the country. Amazing how many people have hunting breeds, labs, pointers,hounds, that they dont keep kenneled. Anyone knows a hunting dog is not worth a crap if allowed to hunt on his own. I agree it sucks when its not the dogs fault, but you can't shoot the owners,[should'nt].

Liv4rut that was the stupidest post I have ever seen you post. How are hunters supposed to get along with that kind of bullsh!t attitude towards another hunter. I agree that some people have no respect for others peoples property but do not lump hound hunters in to one group.

So back to the original topic... How long do you guys stay after the coyotes, and how long can you sell the hides and get decent money? I think trapping would be fun to get into, but never really had anyone in my family ever trap.

Agree with you totally 6x6. We run our dogs in the pens during the spring, summer and fall months so we don't disturb the young yearling animals and the deer won't be run out of there home. If we know our dogs are heading for property that the owner doesn't want them on we do everything in our power to get them cut off and caught but sometimes we are 2 late. Yeah you can't shoot the owners but if your mad enought to start killing dogs then your should be mad enough for a fist fight. lol It just pisses me off when someone has enough balls to kill an innocent animal that is just doing what it is trained to do. Hunting is my passion, deer, coon, coyote, squirrel, rabbit. My hounds are my family not just using hounds. I spend a ton of money time and effort into each one of them. When 2 of them got shot it sent me over the edge as they are family to me. I will go to jail everytime I see that guy who shot my hounds as he will get a licking everytime I run into him. Lucky for him and my wallet he moved out of the county due to people harassing him after this happened. You shooting my hunting hounds is like me pulling up to your yard and shooting your house dog that is outside taking its morning dump. They are my pets just as your house dog is yours.

flugee we run our hounds untill the snow is gone. I don't trap so Im not really sure on how guys go about that. Hides are really not worth much but we usually keep them all till the end of feb then sell them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom