Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great time to get out there

sw outdoor nut

I was wondering, how many of you will be able to get out within the next 24-36 hours? I would imagine the critters will move very well after all of this rain. I wish I didn't have to work. Since I do, I hope you have some good encounters. Keep us posted!

I'd be sitting close to...

scrapes right now! :)

A buck will HAVE to refresh scrapes after this rain.

since unfortunately i live in northwest wis and started vac last week, between the rain and other stuff ive been in about 10 hours of sits, no deer yet. like i said nothern wis, i sure miss Iowa...i did find some halfway decent sign yesterday as i decided to pound some shoe leather.. did find some scrapes and a few small rubs.. also a few ladder stands in some of my honey holes...need i say more, northern wis, gotta love it

They were moving good tonight. I know of a few giants that were double lunged. Good luck to you all this weekend.

I was pumped to get out in the woods, especially friday night right after it stopped raining and it got cold again.... However, I didn't see a single deer on Friday night, or tonight.... I don't know what the deal is.. It's getting me frustrated because both stands are in awesome secluded timbered funnels in standing corn fields.. There should be deer everywhere.. Maybe that's saying something for whomever is worried about the standing corn being a factor.... The deer are definately not in the corn by me....

If you have ever walked through a corn field right after a rain you know how miserable it is. I wonder if the deer react the same and avoid corn fields when they are wet?

If you have ever walked through a corn field right after a rain you know how miserable it is. I wonder if the deer react the same and avoid corn fields when they are wet?

Well, there's a thought.. I guess I'll have to wait till it dries up to see much action because I'm completely surrounded by corn

Saturday morning I had two spikes wander by before sun up. Saturday night a saw one young buck chasing does early 300yds away and four bucks run by me at twenty yds grunting and chasing the doe I was watching feed in the beans. My buddy had a big 12 come through at 9 saturday morning 22yds and no shot, he was also sitting over beans. Also had three bucks running a doe friday morning go through my hot wire and let my horses out. I think the storm started early in Mahaska county.

Friday night was the time to be out for me. I hunted some family land in Clayton Co (NE Iowa). Kicked up a giant while walking in and rattled in a beauty of an 8 pt., 140 class and gave him the pass. Younger deer. But it seemed like the rain quit right before we went out and they were really on their feet!

Well, I went out this Evening around 3:15 or so and Sat. First saw a doe and watched her for about 5, 10 minutes or so and then observed a buck trailing behind her. He was a decent 10 pointer i'd say (145, 150's) but wasn't aggressively persueing her, It was more of a social outing; Though, he may have already found his mate for the season. Tried grunting a couple of times but we would just stare and continue to feed and mark his territory. Then, the doe dissapeared into a brushy finger that seperated pasture ground from a corn field and the buck followed her after 10-15 of playing around. Ended up finally seeing another doe come out and saw the original two later on but never really came my way.

At Any rate, it Should be a great morning tomorrow to sit.

Dannyboy, send your 140's down this way if you have too many...Ha-Ha

I don't have too many, but my family who owns land in that area has plenty. I rarely get to hunt up there but when I do, I ALWAYS see good bucks, it's crazy. Last year I would have killed that deer, he was broadside at 10 yards! But, I've got two bucks, an 8 and a 10 that are both in the mid-140s and I'm really trying to hold out for something a little bigger this year... This buck had 3.5 and future GIANT written all over him. If he had been an older deer it wouldn't have been a question for me.

Top Bottom