Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ground blind bear hunters/outfitters?

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
I want to film my upcoming bow bearhunt this fall in ON in one of my Double Bull blinds. Do you guys that do this leave the blind out each night or take it back to camp each night? Do the bears accept them well on a same day setup? At $400 a blind, I don't really like the idea of coming back to hunt in the afternoon only to find my blind trashed by a bear.

i never bear hunted, but i have camped out were there are bear, i would think as long as you dont have any food, around it, it should be fine, also i would watch out for COLTS

I would not leave the blind out overnight. Bears are real curious critters and can smell considerably better then deer, they will pick up any human scent left behind. This includes what ever smells your tent may have on or in it. At $400 a pop, I'd pack it out.

I have sat on the ground numerous times while bear hunting but as with all other hunting it all comes down to wind direction. You have to hunt the wind.., I'm sure you realize this.

Ask Myles Keller sometime about the power of a bears nose. He has a "hard to believe" story about himself getting winded while wearing scent loc by a bear with a dead beaver in its mouth. But for those that know Miles also know thats he's pretty darned honest.

I would just build a blind out of whatever is laying around. Its alot easier packing a Gerber saw than a blind. I've taken 2 big bears that way.

Your choice.

I know several people that have setup a ground blind when getting to the bait and shot the bear an hour later.

I have heard of bears trashing blinds over night.

If your going to leave your blind out over night I would try to add some pine boughs (sp?) to it not only for the camo but for the scent. Maybe if you did leave it over night that the pine smell would be enough for the bear not smell the human smell.

Dean_311

Old Indian proverb. If a leaf falls the eagle will see it fall, the deer will hear it fall, and the bear will smell it fall. I have hunted bears 4 times in Minnasota arround Deluth and the places I hunted I don't know how you would ever see a bear from ground level until it was right on the bait. I was in tree stands about 15 feet up and 12 to 16 yards from the bait. Even then one bear just appeared on the bait as if it popped out of the ground like a mushroom because the ferns and hazelbrush was so thick. Good luck with your project but i think I would pull the blind and just go in a little earlier to set it up. One night I forgot a burlap sack that I had carried bait in with and the next afternoon that bag was schredded. Another guy had left a shirt up in a tree stand to try to block off another trail and he found it on the ground and ripped up the next night.

[ QUOTE ]
I would not leave the blind out overnight. Bears are real curious critters and can smell considerably better then deer, they will pick up any human scent left behind. This includes what ever smells your tent may have on or in it. At $400 a pop, I'd pack it out.

I have sat on the ground numerous times while bear hunting but as with all other hunting it all comes down to wind direction. You have to hunt the wind.., I'm sure you realize this.

Ask Myles Keller sometime about the power of a bears nose. He has a "hard to believe" story about himself getting winded while wearing scent loc by a bear with a dead beaver in its mouth. But for those that know Miles also know thats he's pretty darned honest.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't be, not with scentlok. Carbon clothing, what a joke and a consumer ripoff. Yes, bears can outsmell a whitetail and I believe that on all of my bear hunts in the past, that the bear knows I was there and just tolerated me. I think it will make for some great film and quite a bit of a rush to take one while on the ground. Thanks guys fro your replies. The general consensus from others too, is that a bear will trash your blind if left out.

Top Bottom