Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ground Blind use ?

I have a piece of property that I have permission to hunt on with some timber on it, but most of it is bedding areas with the rest of it being open pasture or crops. Last year it seemed that I bumped deer everytime I tried to get into a stand that was in the timber. There are very few trees left on the edges that I would be able to put a stand in due to form, dying or size. So I am going to hunt mainly groundblinds in the fields this year.

How far out into a field do you place a groundblinds from the edge of the timber, so that the deer are relaxed in the field and you are still able to get a shot before the end of shooting time?

If a blind is put up far enough out in the field could you use one blind and move it around the farm to keep from having to buy multiple blinds?

Thanks ahead of time.

I put mine out early in the year and leave them. If you do that you can put them anywhere and they will get use to them. At this point in the year I would not be afraid to throw one up and see what happens. When the neighbor bucks start cruising they wont know it wasn't there yesterday but those old does Will pick you off.

I would brush it in really good along the timber, or in some brush. If I was putting a ground blind out in the middle of a field it would be a haybale blind, otherwise the deer are gonna know something's up. I have never deer hunted out of a ground blind, like to look 360 degrees. I'm sure some other guys might have a few ideas. Good luck!

I would find the exit point from the timber into the field - brush your blind 30 yards or so off that point. Maybe find a scrape or two

Thanks for the advice. I would have liked to have them out sooner, but they just got the corn out last night. If I had been prepared I am sure I could have brushed them in with corn stalks and none would have been to the wiser. There are definitely some old does that need to go from the farm.

I will try and put them up tomorrow evening, and then stay out and let them get use to the blinds. I guess I will try to get them in the brush.

I agree it would have been good to save some of the stalks and have it up either before or after combining, and maybe leave a spot of standing corn around it. But, I wonder if the deer would mind much if you set it up now with corn stalks to brush it in, since there was standing corn there not too long ago? Or, if the landowner has any haybales, maybe set a couple out with your blind between/next to them.

I usually set mine up on the edge of trees or an old fenceline grown up with trees to blend it in, but I'd be the first to say that I haven't ever had it brushed in enough. I have however had the opportunity to take a shot at a doe from it when it was just sitting next to an old fenceline, so I know she didn't seem to mind it being there. The bucks on the other hand did, I think, as it got rubbed on, holes poked in it, and had a couple fiberglass rods broken. Too bad I wasn't there to protect my property!

I am going to set one up on the edge of the timber and brush it in good, the other one I am going to go ahead and brush it with stalks in a field. I will just see what happens and hope for the best. If I am able to get another blind I am going to set it right against a fence line that is elevated over a water hole and not brush it in.

Top Bottom